September 22, 2024

A Day with Oscar

My day with Oscar began at 12:15pm. I had been invited to join him to go to an annual city wide flea market, up on the plateau near the airport. We started off with having a lite lunch at a small restaurant a few miles from our apartments. He ordered for us and when it came it was a mound of deep fried mashed potato with some ground beef inside and a small salad next to it. It was very good and cost about $2:50 for each of us. Then we headed to the sky tram station, which is the La Paz mass transit system that covers miles of  the city from the air at about 75 to two hundred feet off the ground. A city of about one million people. Each gondola is inclosed and holes about 8-10 people and they are about 150 feet from each other. However this is not a totally flat city. The valley floor is about 14,000 feet and then it is wall-in with steep hills, ravines and distant mountains that are covered in snow and are five to six thousands feet higher than my apartment. Marco parked his car at the curb and we walked to the first station and paid our fare. After we got on, and traveled miles, Marco would point out certain sites. However it was a city of mostly red brick and concrete apartments many five or more stories high and businesses with the airport in the distance. There were also more modern buildings in between, with more color and design to them. From the air I could also see miles of covered concession  booths, where people were selling their wares in different streets, not just one main boulevard. As we walked, was amazed by what people were selling and how they ever got all their stuff there. Such as car parts, batteries, hardware tools and supplies, plus clothing and almost anything you could name or carry, it was there. However I would not want to buy something like a car battery and then haul it around and back to my car. After walking for a while at 16,000 feet it was still a challenge to walk for me so Oscar would have me put my hand on his shoulder to help study myself. Bless his heart. Then we got back on the tram and headed in another directions.and saw more of the city from another point of view. Finally after several hours of tram sightseeing, we went looking for a place to eat. We decided on Pizza and finally found a place after walking about a mile, called Eli's Pizza, and ordered two 14" pizza, one ham and cheese and another with the works including jalapenos slices, which were too hot for Oscar, but I ate them, and we split a coke.The we got back on the tram and headed back to where we first started our trip. It was just about sunset and the shadows and color of the view was awesome, however Oscar was having a hard time staying awake as he held the box of our leftover pizza. On the way back to my apartment, we dropped the leftover pizza with a lady friend that Oscar knew. When I got out, I thanked Oscar for a wonderful day and then He reminded me that he was taking me to another place on Sunday, starting at 9pm. What an incredible man God has sent my way, during our traveling that day, I got to meet many people and bless and help them. and I even got our photo taken together by a young lady who also wanted to have her picture taken with me after Oscar explained why I was in Bolivia. Through God's love, we are touching lives and changing the world. When I got back to my apartment it was after 6pm. What an awesome day I got to spend with my new friend friend and taxi driver from Bolivia.