October 13, 2013

Children's Mission



the children mission
“And they brought young children to him, that he should touch them: and his disciples rebuked those that brought them. But when Jesus saw it, he was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God. Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein. And he took them up in his arms, put his hands upon them, and blessed them.” (Mark 10:13-16)

Last week I went to the Community church again, wondering what would happen that day. However, I almost left the early, but decided to stay until it was all over. And I’m glad I waited. After the service, I greeted a few of people and then as I was about to leave a lovely older Spanish woman came over and greeted me, and we talked. I had seen her almost every Sunday and had admired her, because of her love for God and children. She always had a half a dozen or more children with her that I assumed were part of her family.  But I was wrong.

Her name is Maria Magddlena Arechiga, and she speak perfect English. She lived in the US when she was twelve for a while. Now she lives in Guaymas, Mexico and has a mission at her home and one next to it that was her mother’s. She is the director, and along with some other friends and mothers they help teach fifty to a hundred children every weekday from 3pm to 5pm, after school hours at what she calls "a children's mission."

The reason Maria came to me was because she had heard me give my testimony the week before and was wondering if I would be willing to come and help her once a week. I would mainly be ministering to children, 9 and older, and she would interpret for me so the children would understand everything I said. I told her I loved children and that I would be glad to help. We set up an appointment to meet at my house in a few hours, and then she took me to her place in Guaymas. Wow! God keeps opening doors. 

When we got to where she lived it was a number of small houses connected together and a couple larger buildings, one 20'x45' used for sleeping at night and a meeting hall during the day, and another building for cooking and eating. She said the children were of all ages, and a few were orphans and they lived there. The children all gather in the largest building at 3pm for singing, group activities, and once a week they watched Christian movies. Then they break down into smaller groups and go to other rooms, in the complex of small houses, for lessons. 
The meeting room
This ministry is near the heart of the city when there are many older and poor peoples homes. Thus it's a place where the children can play games, have snacks, and worship and it's safe for them. They are also taught English, and respect for themselves and others, and on Friday they go on field trips. But most of all they learn more about their Heavenly Father and His love for them; so beautifully demonstrated through this lovely lady, Maria. It is a place where the parents know their children are loved and cared for, and it is also changing some of their lives as well. 

Mexico's most common form of transportation
Maria drives around the city several times picking up the children in her pick-up truck and takes them to the mission. She also wants to turn one of the rooms, next to the street, into a small coffee café to help them learn some business skills as well. One house was hers and the others she has inherited, and with God’s help along with friends, churches and contractors she is able to operate this ministry. It was a vision that the Lord gave her many years ago. And by faith she has seen it grow into what it is today; a place where children and parents can find Jesus Christ, His love and fellowship. When she brought me back home, she prayed an awesome prayer for me and I prayed for her. Wow, this little Spanish mama, is a real jewel in the Kingdom of God. I will really enjoy working with her and seeing what all God has in store for this little mission.