January 6, 2014

Happy Meals



The view from across the stree where I live.
I am a very blessed man. This time of year when people often spend the Holidays with family, two friends of mine, both married, thought of me being here alone in Mexico. Palir is a Mormon and she took me out to dinner with her sister Christmas day and we had a delicious ham dinner. The other lady, Rosie is a Catholic and she brought me a complete turkey dinner on a plate the next day, including a side salad and two dinner rolls. I am so glad that Christ’s love goes beyond religious barriers. I have asked the Lord to bless these two ladies and others who have chosen to honor me this past year. 

A few days later, I was also invited to celebrate New Year Eve with the Lopez’s family along with friends at their home church. I went to it last years and had a wonderful time celebrating Jesus in song, worship and a late night dinner. So I was really looking forward to it again; it started at 9pm. Since I knew I would be going to Guaymas that night I decided to give Maria, a little 60 year old Spanish grandmother, (not even 5 feet tall) a ride home. She normally took the bus from San Carlos. I had given her some money a few times in the past, but she couldn’t speak any English. Later, I learned she works 11-9pm, seven days a week at a small restaurant where I starting having one taco; two or three times a week. (These tacos are nothing like what you get at Taco Bell. These tacos are made with a soft flat flower tortilla. Then pilled with chopped steak, which you can then add on top whatever you want; shredded cabbage, lettuce, and onions and a variety of sauces, but no cheeses. Plus they offer chilies and Bar-b-qued leeks along with coleslaw, cucumbers, jalapeno peppers, pickles and peppers and more all for 20 pesos,-$1.70. The owner there calls me “taco man” even thought I told him what to do in Mexico.) Anyway, Maria makes less than fifty cents an hour, so I thought it would be nice to give her a ride home for a change, plus she likes me because I’ve helped her.

She got off a little early that night along with a co-worker so I gave them both a ride home, but the co-worker only lived about four miles away. However, Maria lived on the far side of Guaymas, about ten miles further and another mile off the main bus route and up a steep hill. When I parked on the hill, in front of her small house, I push down the emergency brake which I had not had to use in a long time. Then we walked up big stone steps to a dark house, but when she opened the door there were lights on and a pretty Christmas tree all light up. Her son and his wife and small toddler was there and another friend who all warmly greeted me. They were all very kind and friendly, but none spoke English. I sat on an old worn-out sofa next to a small cat nursing her four kittens, for a little while and watch the child play with kittens. Then I told them that I need to go to my other friend’s party at the church. They said good-bye and happy New Year.

When I got in the van I started it and then pulled the emergency brake release handle, but the red warning brake light remained on and I could hardly move, because the brakes had not released. I pulled the lever again, but nothing happened. I could barely move forward or back and now I was stuck in the middle of the street, on a steep hill, and in a strange neighborhood. I didn’t know what to do, so I prayed for help and peace of mind. Then some young men came by as others gather as I tried to figure out what to do. I couldn’t spend the night on this hill, so I reach down underneath and found that the cable had come off the lever, but I had no flashlight to see where to connect it back on. Then Maria’s son came out and he had his cell phone in his hand with the light on. So he gave it to me and I was able to see as I reattach the cable, but it still wouldn’t release until I finally pulled on the brake lever itself with my hand, and then the brakes released with a quick jerk forward. Thank God the van was still in Park. I thanked her son and offered some money, but he refused. So I thanked him again and left, feeling a great relief from that awful situation, thanking God repeatedly.

I arrived at the celebration at 9:40 and didn’t miss anything. There were about thirty people and I had a great time and played some games. Then we had a chicken dinner with a roll, lots of chips and salsa which I really enjoyed. At mid-night there were a few fireworks; then we all hugged and kissed on the cheeks then some of the young people took turns singing worship songs karaoke-style. I was the first to leave there at 1am, very tired, but relived to be able to drive home, I was able to fix the brake problem the next morning.

New Year’s Day, was a very quiet; most places were closed and I just enjoyed time with my Heavenly Father. I watch a movie that night and then decided to still take a walk at 9:30pm. After I left the house, I noticed a young lady sitting at the bus stop nearby, waiting to go home, I said, hola and she gave me a friendly smile and said, “hola,” and I continued walking thinking that was nice of her. However, when I returned about a half hour later she was still sitting there along with a man standing near-by. I told her she had been there a long time and she agreed. I sat next to her and asked if she spoke any English and she shook her head and said no. But she point to the man and said he did. So I talk to him and wait with them for about 15 more minutes, but there was no bus coming. He even tried to hitch-hike a ride, but no one would stop. They both live in Guaymas. I was tired, and it was late and I didn’t really want to make a third trip into Guaymas in three days, but I offered them a ride, if they wanted one. They were surprised, but happily agree. I told them I would be back in a few minutes. The man got in the back and gave her the passenger’s seat. As we drove I played my Spanish worship music, but he want to talk so I turn the music down so I could understand him and his questions. I learn his name was Carlos and he was 35 years old, and the pretty young lady was Sheyla; she was 24, and they each had brothers and sister. They also both worked at the same place and he was a chief at a restaurant across the street and they were very busy that day. While I was driving, she was holding a large white Styrofoam take-home container in her lap. I asked if that was her dinner. She said,” yes.” Then she offered it to me and I said, “No thank you,” thinking it was just some left-over’s. But then they said they wanted to take me to dinner the next day to show their appreciation, but again I said no thank you. I told him they didn’t have to do that, I was just glad to be able to help them. But, then she offered the container to me again. So I asked to see what I was turning down, when she opened it I could not believe what I saw. There were three large shush-kabobs on top of some other meat (four nice slices of pork loin roast), a big pile of seasoned potatoes and a large salad with a small container of house dressing. Carlos said that he had made it for her. I told him I would only receive this meal, if he would make her another one; which he agreed. I dropped then off in town where some friend would meet them. I got hugs and thanks, and they said I was a very good friend. Wow, another wonderful unexpected blessing; Happy Meals from God.