March 29, 2010

Build A Better Garden- Taking Steps of Faith, Pt.4


I have learned to trust God as my provider and as protector of what he has given. As provider He lets us know what we need or what we don't need. Sometimes He asks others to help. I make it a practice to not "advertise" our challenging situations as to see how God will work things out. Often our efforts tend to mess things up or delay them. God doesn't need our help as much as we think. He prefers our patience and trust more. In every situation we have tried to be content. When concerns or fears came in, I took them to the Lord in prayer and waited for his answers. How else do we learn to build faith regarding provision unless we stop doing what others normally do? (i.e. borrowing, getting an extra job)

After my wife and I had lost our house, God wanted me to trust him to provide an income for us, and I was to do whatever He chose despite the type of work or the amount of pay (if any). My first job was a landscape laborer at $6.50 per
hour compared to $50.00 as an artist. Next, I was a commercial painter for $12.50, painting the walls at a new Microsoft building in the Seattle area. Eventually I was laid off because of lack of work. The next job my wife and I were asked to do was child care at a large church that we attended. We each made $7 per hour, 3 nights a week, three hours a night, for over a year. And God provided us a house to live in, rent and utilities paid. This was another miracle.

One day when mowing the lawn at that house, I told God the way we're living seems crazy. He told me to trust Him so I did. All this time God was dealing with areas of pride in me. I had told myself, certain things I would never do, such as unemployment benefits and food stamps. Well I swallowed my pride, but before they ran out God told me to cancel the food stamps and give my last unemployment check to Him. I did, even though I still didn't have a job and I was on my last tank of gas. A few days later a pastor from a church called. He commissioned me to do a painting of Jesus praying in the Garden of Gethsemane, and gave me a deposit. God wants all of His children to depend on Him, and not the welfare system. He is always faithful when we place our trust in Him. Less than a year later God provided the means to build our house.

If we are supposed to have something that God desires us to have, and if we agree with him, there is nothing that can stop it from coming. I personally know that as fact. I don't need to keep up with the Joneses. I have Jesus Christ living inside me. He's my everything. And whatever he gives me belongs to him, including any money I earn. I make it a practice to give when, where, and how much, or whatever it may be. You can't out give God!

I've tried not to get to personally attached to anything, including money. Ten percent was just the starting point for me. In my last job I was giving up to 30%. My desire is to increase my faith to where I'm living on 10% and the rest will help the lost and needy. I have found it best to sow when you have little, not after you've won the Lottery Sweepstakes or "when your ship comes in." Technically everything we have belongs to God anyway (Psalms 50:4), and that's why sometimes He takes things away. I also believe we should give more things away instead of selling them in garage sales. We should not let circumstances control how we give or live.

We should not let circumstances control how we give or live.

In 1988 I lost my dream house because of borrowing. Since then, we have paid cash and trusted him to pay our bills. We do so by faith and by whatever means he provides; we use faith principles and not religious principles. (I have also learned that we shouldn't make living without credit a law; it could potentially be a means he allows.) Sometimes we had to sell things and get rid of things we didn't need or couldn't afford or should not of had in the first place—health insurance was at the top of the list. Other times I have burned certain things if they were accursed items. This is an area many Christian are naive about. Cleansing one's house is important as to see God's blessings of prosperity, and sometimes to correct health issues.

One time we went without transportation for two months in winter until God provided the money to get our truck repaired. Three times we were faced with having to move, not knowing where we would live in less than two weeks. None of those times did we have a job or the means, and yet God provided a way. I could write a book alone on some of those experiences, the excitement we felt as we saw God's faithfulness to my obedience and trust, and my wife's willingness to follow. Our faith has continued to grow with what seemed to be impossible challenges. God says, "Prove Me, and know that I am God." The most resent challenge came two years ago when God asked me if I would be willing to leave everything, including hopes and dreams, and follow Him. A few month later I quit my job and left everything and moved to Vancouver, Washington. Five months later my wife followed me, leaving an empty house and most of our possessions behind. Three months later our daughter's family needed a place to live, so they moved into our house. God has a way of providing for everyone.

Many times there are reasons why we lose our jobs or houses, so that we will learn to trust God. That was kind of the process God took me through. I have learned to live with very little and I have been blessed with very much. Over the past nine years, we have purchased with cash two almost new cars, an older truck, and a van. We drove them off the car lots with no collision insurance on them, and we have had no accidents. If there were any 'accident," I know it would be his ultimate will to bless me through their negligence or mine. The outcome is for my good either way. This applies for any type of "accident" or situation. Neither do I have any health issues because God said, "By his stripes, ye are healed,"(Is.53); and that settles it for me. Any demonic attacks whether physical or spiritual, I cast off in Jesus name. Then I stand on His Word. In regards to any other need I may need, I believe that I have received
and it shall be yours. (Mark 11:24) Again, I refuse to live by "what ifs." I have chosen to live by Jesus' faith in His protective power. And He continues to be my provider, and He blesses and restores all that appears to have been lost. I have all I will ever need—Jesus himself. I also believe I am wealthy, because I have sown and He says so. However, money is not important to me, but knowing and trusting Jesus Christ is. He has blessed me more by calling me His friend.

I thank God for His awesome love and assurance. I trust God with everything, including my wife, family and my future, because they are what he has given me. God and I are in a covenant relationship. He promises to love, provide and protect. And I will love, trust and serve him. He has provided everything, and what I don't need I will gladly leave, despite how my flesh or others' flesh may feel. Some people may think I'm a fool. I am a fool for Christ sake. God desires all his sons and daughters to live by Jesus' Faith, and to love and trust Him with
all their hearts. Then people will see our garden, benefit from the fruit and give glory to Almighty God.

Many people have become so dependent on other gods (the world systems), but its never to late to start trusting God, building your faith. First start with repentance, and then take small step into Jesus' waiting arms. I encourage you, if you haven't taken steps of faith, to ask God to show you where and how you should begin. Regardless of what your financial situation or health challenges are, God can do miracles for you. Then you can begin to see his wondrous love and faithfulness by letting that seed of faith grow in your garden (your Heart). Then others can take shelter in your faith, and within His love for them. Don't let fears control your life; cast them out. I'm no one special, and what Jesus has accomplished in me he can do for you. Amen. Believe it!

"Taste and see that the Lord is good." (Psalm 34: 8) Then you will be able to say,"Come and listen, all who fear God, and I will tell you what the Lord has done for me." (Psalm 66:16). I'm not boasting, I'm bragging about an awesome and powerful God. Jesus Christ is Lord.
"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him [focus on Jesus] and He will direct your paths." (Proverbs 3-5-6 PAR)