March 21, 2010

Build A Better Garden (Taking Steps of Faith, Pt 2)


Learning to build faith in our garden requires us to do something we don't usually like to do—trust God. For example His Word tells us, "By His stripes we are healed." (Is. 53:5) That was accomplished 2000 years ago. Or was God telling a lie? Do we really believe God is our Healer, or do we only hope so? or is he a Healer just for certain individuals? Why do so many Christians continue to go to doctors? Part of the reason is because that's where most of us started life, and we have continued to put our trust in man's hand. Many people have not built their faith apart from doctors, or built their faith on the ability of God to do as he promised. Many believe if God doesn't heal them immediately, like the examples in the Bible, then other alternative must be their next choice. But Jesus prefers to correct the spiritual problem which is usually manifested in the physical so we will take the proper steps to correct it. However, most don't want to take the time, effort or consider the possibility that there is a spiritual problem. Jesus healed a lot of people, but many still rejected his message. (Obedience is better than just being good in your own eyes.)

I'm not saying one should never go to a doctor. God uses doctors and nurses to minister to people all over the world. They help deal with all forms of accidents, disasters and health issues, to those who don't know the power of God. He hopes someday those same people will eventually trust in Him, like I did. Women had babies long before there were doctors. (If you want to read about the power of God to deliver healthy babies read the book, Born in Zion, by Carol Balizet; she was a nurse who helped start the home birth movement.) God can guide a surgeon's hand just as easily as healing your physical or emotional problems. We need to listen to and obey God. However, for those who believe in doctors and in hospitals, in 2008 over 48,000 people died in the USA alone from an illness they contracted from those medical facilities. Maybe hospitals and clinics should post a sign at the door, ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK.

So how do we build our faith? We can start now with the simple things. First of all, I asked God to forgive me for my lack of faith in Him; repentance is always a good starting point. Many people have depended on the medical system from birth, and many of our parents continued to take us whenever we got sick. It has been considered a normal way for almost a hundred years for most people in the western world. But as Christians, we have another alternative: Jesus Christ the Great Physician. He was the intended healer and source of health for all God's children. And one of the best parts is, His services are free as long as we obey Him.

When I started reading Bible scriptures on Faith and healing, I found them saying, Jesus healed them all. I read other books too, like Healing The Sick by T.L. Osbourn. Then I took some simple steps by changing some habits. Whenever I had a headache, muscle pain, or an injury, I wouldn't take an aspirin; instead I just spent some time with God and thanked Him for my healing—even before the ache or pain was gone or even when I was throwing up. If the problem continues ask God to show you the reason. It's best when we ask first.

I also started to eat healthier foods and eliminate sugar-laced products from my diet. Processed sugars and other man-made foods are harmful to our bodies, bodies which are described in the New Testament as God's temple. Again, I repented because I allowed my taste-buds and stomach to rule what I ate. I also started to fast because I wanted God more than food. Denying the flesh is a part of building faith. (Our bodies are His temple and we can't keep putting junk in it without consequences.) Don't be surprised if you start to feel sick when you decide to trust God in the area of health; satan's little buddies don't want you to trust God for your health, and sometimes they attack with all kinds of symptoms, such as a cold or flu. And what do most people usually say, "Oh no, I'm getting sick." Watch what you say; sow words of faith. Sure I felt miserable for a few days, but now I was choosing to trust God for my health. I didn't stop trusting just because the symptoms didn't go away as quickly as I had hoped; and this is where the real test of trust begins. (Yes, the symptoms and pain are real, but reality and truth are two different issues. I chose to live by truth.) The cold was over in less than a week. I thanked God. Then I said to satan, "Was that your best shot?" The next day the symptom were back again. It's not smart to taunt satan. I continued to trust God.

We are learning to walk in His divine health, not just being healthy. Jesus was never sick and he now wants us to live out His nature in every area in our life including health and wholeness. He also knows exactly what you are experiencing every moment. Also if you fall or get hurt somehow, pray and thank God for his protection despite how it may look or feel. Again, watch what you say; words can paint your future, so speak God's words and not words of fear. You may hear words of fear, but don't speak them. We can't stop the enemy or others from whispering fearful words in our ears, but we don't have to entertain them.

One time I tripped over a cross-brace that was in place while building a raised deck; I fell hitting my forehead on the concrete, splitting the skin 3/4" and making a knot in the middle of my forehead. In the fall I also hit my right forearm and it looked broken. I immediately prayed and thanked God for His protection, despite what I felt or saw. Shortly after, neither my arm or my head hurt much considering what happened or the way they looked. I thought I would take some time off work the next day so I went to visit Sheldon who lived 200 miles away. When I got to his place, I removed the bandage from my forehead and the injury was healed and my arm no longer hurt. I was where God wanted me for my next step of faith.

I always enjoyed my visits with Sheldon and the home-church in Longview, WA. We had spent several days talking about the Lord and what God had been doing in our lives. One evening I told him that I felt I was to get him a car, and told him that I had even tried to save some money to buy him one because he hadn't had a car for 5 years. I even said I would give him my car, (which I owned for only five months so as to have an economical vehicle that I could use to visit him), but, I wanted to give him something nicer than an old 4 door Honda that I had. The next morning I left Longview; I was halfway home when the Lord said to me, "You forgot something." I pulled off at the next off-ramp and asked what it was that I had forgotten. He said, "You forgot to give Sheldon your car."

...to be continued.