April 12, 2010

Claiming the Land


Now the Lord said to Abram, "Go forth from your country,.. to a land I will show you; and I will make you a great nation and I will bless you..." (Gen. 12:1,2)

In this passage we see the sovereignty of God reaching out to mankind through an old man (something I can identify with at times). The man that He has chosen, Abram, was to become the "father of our faith." From the beginning of time, God, in his infinite wisdom and knowledge, saw something in Abram's heart worthy of that title. And Abram didn't disappoint him.

Abram had very little, if any, knowledge of God, even though he was from the line of Seth. We know nothing of Abram's upbringing. But one thing's for certain, he was not a content man. He apparently did not like what he saw around him; nor did he desire to go along with the status quo. I believe he was hungry and searching for the purpose of life. He had no answers, nor any sons to carry on the burning in his heart, until one day when God spoke to him. After that, he was ready and willing to move on. He was now given a compass by God that was pointing a different direction than the way others had been going.

God set the course and Abram agreed to follow him. At least most of his requirements. Remember, Abram was new at obeying God whom he had never met—in actuality he only heard a voice. So Abram headed out on a long journey that would forever change his life.

How God lead Abram to Canaan, the Scriptures do not say. However, it was the country his father was initially headed for, but failed to accomplish. Maybe Abram had a gut-feeling he was to continue that same direction (perhaps something in his genetic make-up). Eventually the Lord confirmed to him that he had made the right decision. How long it took to get to Canaan, we have no idea, but God was in no hurry.

Finally, the Lord appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." So he built an altar to the Lord who had appeared to him. Then he proceeded to the mountain...pitched his tent...built an altar and called upon the name of the Lord." (Gen. 12:7,8)

Abram had now seen the Lord—in what form we're not told—but his heart was overwhelmed and he wanted to know more. Somewhere in his upbringing he had learned certain ways to appease God or gods by building alters. Now, that he was in Canaan, he was curious as to what he was supposed to do. So again he called on this unique God, a God who at this time chose to remain a mystery.

Then Lord appeared again to Abram and said, "Now lift up your eyes and look from the place where you are, northward and southward and eastward and westward; for all the land you see, I will give it to you and your descendants forever... Arise, walk about the land through its length and breath; for I will give it to you."
(Gen. 13: 14,17)

Now, Abram knew what he must do. He knew he had been commissioned to claim the land promised by walking it's length and breadth. He was also promised a son from his own seed. This was quite a challenge for an old man going on eighty years of age. However, this was middle-age back then. God gave him strength as he continued to walk by faith.

Later on, God changed his name to Abraham, and stated to a king that he was a prophet of the Lord. And like many prophets, their lives painted a picture of the ways of Jesus Christ. Close to two thousand years later, the same land which Abraham walked upon was being walked by that promised Seed, Jesus Christ. He too walked the land of promise—a picture of the eternal City, New Jerusalem. Then Jesus commissioned his disciples to go throughout the world and preach the Gospel, making disciples of all nations.

Today, God's sons and daughters are still called to walk the land claiming it for the Kingdom of God, using words of faith and faith-filled actions. We are to take back that which was lost due the fall of mankind in the Garden of Eden. This is done by words and actions of faith. We are to reclaim what has been lost, a concept almost forgotten by religious mindsets, but not by God or His army of sons and daughters. These sons and daughters have taken the position of humility, knowing the battles ahead of them is not their battles, but the Lord's. Claiming the land is accomplished by following certain steps of faith: intercession & prayer, walking the land, also praise & worship. I encourage everyone to read and study the life of Abraham; he is a great role-model.

As I'm writing this article I am reminded of some similarities between Abraham's life and my own. In 1991, I had given up my profession as an artist and then left the area in which my parents, brother, and other relatives lived. Then I moved, with my wife and daughter, to the other side of the mountain range. Then a few years later, I told my family I was going to pitch a tent on the mountain next to our home and stay there for three days waiting on God. There I bared my soul for the people who were lost and hurting, and prophesied for blessings and restoration to our county and nation. From the North, the South, the East and the West, I prophesied that the name of Jesus would be exalted and people would come to know Him.

A few years later I walked the length and breadth of our county in six different segments, a total of 98 miles; the longest was 28 miles. I was 50 years old at the time. Each walk was accomplished in a different way, such as no food (or snacks), no water, and no resting—whatever God laid on my heart, that was how it was done. The first time a pebble got in my tennis shoe and God said to ignore it. He indicated it was just a distraction. So I kept walking for several more miles until I reached my destination. Then I took the pebble out, and had no blister or soreness from it.

On these walks I prayed, and by faith I believed my steps represented a person's salvation, healing or deliverance from bondage; not only for people in that county, but for the future generations. I also walked the city streets and the college campus in the heart of that community, laying my hands upon each building, praying that the truth would be heard and received by the students, the faculty and business people. And from my art studio porch that overlooked the freeway and the valley of our county, I prayed and prophesied forgiveness and God's mercy. I prayed that people would come to know the ways of God.

And so like Abraham, I've claimed the land. Now, God has moved me on to other places and other cities to walk and intercede for. I encourage all God's sons to start claiming the land—if you haven't yet—for the Kingdom of God.

P.S. The scriptures speak of stretching out your tent pegs (Is. 54:2). Over the years I have put yellow plastic tent pegs in the four boundaries of Kittitas County and the boarders of Washington State, claiming them for the Kingdom of God. I have also traveled and walked in 44 other states as an artist searching for truth. I have found it. And He has given me other counties. Now, he is taking me to the nations. I am humbled by his trust in me.