April 5, 2010

Life and Death


Many people have been caught in a life or death situation. Some of them call 911, and others cry out to God. In the Bible we find many situations where people called on God, because they desperately needed His help. Some of those biblical emergencies involved individuals such as Daniel when he was thrown in the lion's den. In another example we see that the city Jerusalem was being surrounded by their enemy, and King Jehoshaphat petitioned God and proclaimed a fast throughout Judah (2 Chron. 20). Both of those situations were matters of life and death. God is always faithful to respond to intercessors who cry out to Him. It is often the seasoned individuals we see doing those kind of things, but on occasion we see younger people put to the great tests, such as the three Hebrew children, Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-nego, in their fiery furnace experience.

The Book of Esther is the story of a young lady in a desperate situation—a matter of life and death–who was pleading for her nation. She is a beautiful Hebrew girl who was chosen by God to fulfill a unique position as the queen of a foreign nation. And strange as it may seem, her beauty was one of the reasons she was chosen as a candidate for queen; she was beautiful and won. However, she was only queen for a short time when her services were needed by God. Her position had been more a marriage of protocol as a replacement for the first queen, who wasn't submissive to the king's wishes. However Esther, which means Star, was different. When the king saw her he knew she was the one. She was not only beautiful on the outside, but beautiful on the inside. The King's new bride and queen had the manners, temperament and spirit that would make any husband proud, also other men envious. The king loved her very much, but he was also a very busy man.

There was a deceitful and evil man named Haman who worked within the palace walls. Because of his pride regarding Esther's uncle, Haman plotted to destroy the Jewish people, which neither Haman nor the king realized was Esther's race. However, Esther's uncle, Mordecai had become aware of the deceptive scheme and sent Esther this message as to warn her of the plot that would kill all the Jews in the empire.
"Do not imagine that you in the king's palace can escape any more than the Jews. For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise from another place and you and your father's house will perish. And who knows whether you have attained royalty for such a time as this."
When Esther read this she said, "Go, assemble all the Jews who are found in Susa, and fast for me; do not eat or drink for three days. I and my maidens also will fast in the same way." Then she would risk seeing the king, which could possibly mean her death if he so ordered. This was a very courageous move on her part (and asking people to fast was wise as well).

When I read that passage of scripture back in the summer of 1996, I felt that I too was to intercede for the people of our community–in a similar way as Queen Esther. So I told my family that after the evening meal the next day, I was going to stay in a tent on the mountain next to our house for three days. There I would read, pray, and fast; even without water, which I had never done before.

At 6 PM, I left home and headed up the mountain, pitched my tent and waited upon God. I had my Bible, notebook and pen. I wore the same clothes every day; I didn't have a watch or a flashlight. It was just God and me, also a spiritual hunger for God and the salvation of our county (community). I desired to study the whole Book of Esther and try to view it from God's perspective. Each day God revealed to me more insights behind the written words. I believe it is an incredible picture of the end-time church. Our obligation as the Bride of Christ (which is a picture of Esther) is to intercede for the Church and the world that is lost. Lest satan (Haman) destroys the Church body and the Bride. And Esther always did what Mordecai (Jesus) told her. Just as we should do and trust Him with our whole heart. Mordecai would not bow to Haman and neither should we. He also was elevated to the position second to the king, just as Jesus was seated at the right hand of the God. And, so I too chose to prayed, fasted and interceded for a people, because there is a lost and dying world out there that needs God help.

I had also brought a map of Kittitas County with me (my county) and I laid my hands on it and prayed. I also did warfare against satan, who had deceived and bound the hearts and minds of so many people. That their eyes and ears would be open to the truth. And that they would be set free from all forms of addictions and bondage. I also declared restoration for families and healing for their bodies, minds and spirits.

I also realized that someday I was to walk the county for the Kingdom of God. However, each day during this fast I also walked around the top edge of the mountain. I was getting physically weaker; the last day I had to rest quite a bit on the hike, but by the end of the third day my spirit was stronger and so was my faith.

This three day fast occurred over the 4th of July weekend. And while our nation and county celebrated their independence, I was praying that our nation would become more dependent on God. This was an awesome experience; I wasn't even hungry or thirsty when I got back home. I have found that when I'm in God's will, things seem to go a lot better.

Note: Satan is still a butt and a deceiver. One time on another fast for ten days, I fainted on the 7th day. I had never fainted before. I don't think this usually happens when a person fasts; I imagine the older a person gets it can be more challenging. But, we should never feel ashamed if we don't complete an intended fast. God looks on the heart and not on the number of days; just follow his leading. I also didn't get hurt nor did I stop until my 10 day fast was over. I just got up off the floor and kept praising and trusting God.

Today, I'm still interceding, walking and fasting (sometimes even without water), but God is faithful and keeps giving me his strength. He has also given me a bigger vision for the lost, also for nations. There are other sons and daughters, who are willing to face death with no fear; I thank God for them, because we have already died and been raised up in Him, Him who is our source of Life. We have all been prepared for such a time as this.