August 31, 2010

The Insurance Alternitive


In a number of articles I have mentioned God's faithfulness and protection over health, finances and possessions. Since 1988, my wife and I have paid cash for our cars, homes, and furniture. However, a while back, I purchased my Mac Book computer (that I write my blogs on) with a Best Buy credit card when they had a special offer of 18 months no interest with purchase. We also had Bank CD's in savings to cover the cost of the computer which is now paid for, thanks to God's faithfulness and grace. I also believed it was what God wanted me to do. People shouldn't make a law about using credit cards, but follow the Holy Spirit leading.

God is faithful and helps pay all our bills—even though we don't make a lot of money at this time. Things may have been tight at times, but all our needs have been met. God was and is faithful, and we never lacked for food and we're still able to help others. I am a blessed and healthy man; God also considers me a wealthy man according to the promises to Abraham and the Covenant in which I share. I agree with the words God has spoken to me regarding my calling, my family and my future. By faith, I believe I have already received all his promises.

Let me share with you a brief testimony that happened a couple months ago. I was over at Sheldon's house for our usual
Friday evening prayer and worship time. The street in front of his house is narrow, and so it is posted "No Parking" on one side. It was still light outside when I pulled into Sheldon's short driveway and I had noticed someone was visiting the neighbor's house across the street and they had parked their car in the restricted area. So I told myself that I would have to careful when I backed out later that night so I wouldn't hit it.

After an awesome evening with the Lord in our meeting where God said that He enjoyed stopping by "the house of David" on Friday evenings, where two men pray. I left about midnight and it was dark. I forgot to look and see if the dark blue car was still parked behind me. I got into my Chevy Astro van and backed out just as I usually do, which is almost to the other curb in order to make my turn to leave. Then I remembered the other car and hit my brakes and looked back through the driver's side mirror, the car was still there, but I did not hit it. I thought, boy that was close. I thanked God, then put the van into drive, made my turn and headed for home. But as I drove home I was puzzled by what had just happened.

The next time I went back to Sheldon's, I wanted to confirm my suspicions. I reconstructed what I had done the last time. The car was gone now, but the way I had backed out there was no way I could have missed hitting it. God's angels somehow moved things into another dimension, even though I still saw the car behind me in the mirror that night.

There have been other times that I have seen the Lord's protection over my life, and I'm sure you have too. God wants us to live in the spiritual and supernatural world, just as Jesus did. We are spiritual beings as well and as sons of God; we are not to be limited by the laws of the natural world. There are also other times we don't realize His help or appreciate it the way we should. For example, all those close calls in traffic we just take for granted. However, God wants us to operate in this realm more often by completely placing our trust in Him. When we do that, the supernatural will become a more common experience, along with healing the sick and raising the dead.

A few weeks after that incident, the Lord shared these words with us:
"Why would I limit a man, because of natural laws of gravity, natural laws at all. When the spiritual law is the higher law. Jesus was not; limitations bowed and yielded to Him. Just as you've noticed He's done for you. When you backed up and did not hit that car, that dark blue car. Grace is a greater law, than space and time and gravity. And mankind's natural limitations, and even his fears of giving up the dirt. You have already experienced things beyond your old limitations and certainly beyond many others comfort zone, but you'll experience them. In due time you will experience them a lot."
I know this for sure, the Lord takes extra precaution over his anointed ones. Remember what the Lord told Pharaoh, regarding Abraham's deception about his wife Sarah, this also applies to both Laban's and Esau's issues with Jacob: "Do no harm to my prophets or anointed ones." God is looking out for you too, as you see in this incredible chapter where God spells out the terms of his insurance policy for you who believe. All you have to do is sign your name at the bottom of the terms by faith. And you have entered a contract for life.

Psalm 91

You who dwell in the shelter of the Most High, who abide in the shadow of the Almighty,

Say to the LORD, "My refuge and fortress, my God in whom I trust.

God will rescue you fro
m the fowler's snare, from the destroying plague,

Will shelter you with pinions, spread wings that you may take refuge;

God's faithfulness is a protecting shield

You shall not fear the terror of the night nor the arrow that flies by day,

Nor the pestilence that roams in darkness, nor the plague that ravages at noon.

Though a thousand fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, near you it shall not come.

You need simply watch; the punishment of the wicked you will see.

You have the LORD for your refuge; you have made the Most High your stronghold.

No evil shall befall you, no affliction come near your tent.

For God commands the angels to guard you in all your ways.

With their hands they shall support you, lest you strike your foot against a stone.

You shall tread upon the asp and the viper, trample the lion and the dragon.

Whoever clings to me I will deliver; whoever knows my name I will set on high.

All who call upon me I will answer; I will be with them in distress; I will deliver them and give them honor.

With length of days I will satisfy them and show them my saving power.
Wow, what a wonderful and powerful promise from God. These words were inspired by God and written by someone who really knew God. That's why it is so important to take the time to know Him. Or, have we become like so many people today who question God's ability to protect in all areas of life? Have we missed something? Are we really doing what God expects of us? Or, do we really believe satan's words more than God's Word? Just as Eve did, when satan said, "Did God really say?" I hope that's not the case.

We should not focus (dwell) on other people's problems or on our own, or listen to another voice. Instead, we should look to Jesus, for He's the answer. He is also our shield and mighty fortress in whom we find shelter. No insurance company or policy can offer that kind of protection, along with all His other benefits. Most of all, it doesn't cost us any monthly premiums (another word for money), money that could be used to help others, including ourselves. Jesus is "The Rock" and you're in "safe hands" with Him. All those insurance jingles can't compare to the praise and power of Almighty God!

When we put our trust in God, we can avoid many of the unnecessary wrecks in life.