January 12, 2013

God is in Control


One of the beachs in Guaymas 


Where do I begin? Last week I shared about a meltdown and meeting a new family, and I ended it with a note on car trouble. I felt that things were beginning to look better and there was a new joy in my heart, but then the van’s motor would not start one morning. I had played some worship music the night before for about an hour and I want to charge the battery more, but then it would not start. The battery wasn’t dead; it just would not start up. Now, what do I do. Don’t panic, like the last time. But this was different, this wasn’t my wallet, it was my transportation and my house. I said to myself, “Remember, God’s in control.”

Okay, what do I do God? No answer, but I felt a peace this time. So I walked to Juan’s house and we got his brother, Pablo, to tow my van to his house with my toe strap that was meant to help others. Now I was depending on other’s to help me. Then Aaron checked it out, who had worked on Juan’s truck. I stood and watch as he took the inside of my van apart to get to the motor. Without a computer diagnostic test, it was a process of elimination. After checking the rotor cap and the spark plugs. It was obvious that this van had never had a tune-up in it’s 135,000. So Aaron drove me to town to get new parts and plugs. Then he installed them, but the van still wouldn’t start when he finished his work the next morning. He thought maybe the timing might be off, and the only way to check it would be to take the front of the motor apart to do that. I knew Aaron was good, but I felt we should go to a Chevy dealer. Which was the last thing I wanted to do, because they’re expensive. 

That night as I slept in my van with it all taken apart, I had another dream of Jesus. We were in a building with other people, and He had asked me a question, but I replied, “I left my house, my family, and even my wife. And sometimes I feel you’re not even there.” I was upset and left the building, but Jesus followed me outdoors and caught up with me as I walked down the sidewalk. Then He caught up with me and put his are around my shoulder as we walked and then He began to talk to me—end of dream. Now, that my not sound positive to you, but it was to me. It showed He cared, and He also put His arm around me, because we are friends, and that’s very good thing.

The next morning I still had His peace, as I was being towed to the Guaymas Chevy dealer, twenty miles away with the same 15’ tow strap—that was not fun. When we got there, we explained to the service manger, who was the only one that spoke English, what we had done and that I was a minister of God helping the poor in Mexico. I told him this was my house and that I didn’t have a lot of money. He said if it was the timing, it would cost about 15,000pesco or around $1,250, which I didn’t have. At 400pesco per hour, or about $35, I though I could handle that, if they found the problem quickly. But it was Friday afternoon, and they only worked a half days on Saturday and none on Sunday.  I left my van there, with everything in it including my sword and passport. All I had were the clothes on my back, my laptop and camera. I again had to trust God to protect all my stuff. That night, I slept in Manuel’s room and he had a cot in his parent’s bedroom. I slept very well and had His peace over me. Saturday, I asked Aaron what I owed him for his work, he said, “nothing.” Wow, now that a friend and I asked God to really bless him.  

God sent me to a family of beautiful angels 
Picture of family photo; starting from the left to right;  Ricardo, Angelieta, Gabriello, Luis Angel, and Ana Gabrila
However, I still had a 2 o’clock appointment the next day with the new family in Guaymas. So I paid another friend to take me there and hoped someone would give me a ride back. When I got to the Lopez Lopez house, which is their last name not an error. I was again greeted with hugs. It was so good to be there where their young friend Arantza, who spoke English. She had been a foreign exchange student in Canada for a year, where she learned to speak and read English. We had a chicken dinner at the Lopez Lopez house then they want to take me to Angelita’s brothers house. He wants to be a pastor, and his family wanted to hear me talk also. Wow, I said okay. We arrived had a very nice home, and again I was greeted with hugs from men and women. I spoke for about two hours with them asking me questions. I talked a little about my salvation experience, church life, about God’s love and the next move of the Heavenly Father and His Grace, about church life and a little some on religion. My whole body and face felt hot with the anointing that was on me. They apparently liked what they heard through my new interpreter, Arantza, that Angelita's brother asked me if I would come to their house again the next evening for a New Year's Eve, celebrations. I said, “I love to.”  
In this photo Ana Gabrila is 15 years old and the lower one is current
Angelita husband, Gabriel, who is the strong silent type, plus he speaks very little English, then informed me that he was a automotive instructor and he would like to go with me to the Chevy Dealer to make sure they were fair with me. Juan had called them late Saturday and they had found the problem. It was just a bad cable and they checked a few other things out and it was now running—that was great news to hear.
Ricardo, Ana Gabrila, and Luis Angel

However, the next day when Gabriel and I arrived at the Chevy dealer, the service manger, said the cost was 1,000pesos or $85. They replaced the cable and put back all the parts to the dash compartment over the engine that had been left open. I could not believe it. God again was in complete control, acting on my behalf. I gladly paid the amount, which the manager asked me to give him with no one watching us. Then he put the money in his pocked and gave me no paperwork, which was started the first day. Whatever, really happened, I was glad to pay and drive away from there a happy son of God.

My time in La Manga was becoming strained and awkward. I didn't know what to do. I loved them, but being unable to really communicate limited what I could share. They are a very simple and loving people in that community and I wanted to be more for them than someone whose walks a lot and gives them money, candy or food. Many of the children expressed their love in ways that the parents didn’t. One time I whispered in a little girls ear as I held her, that I loved her and to my surprise, she whispered back in my ears in English, “I love you.” Wow!

I decided to take some time away from Juan’s family, even if I couldn’t go to the United States when I had planned. So, I went to seek God for some answers about my role in La Manga. Another door had opened and it was not what I expected, but it was what I really needed. A family I could talk to and also wanted to hear what I had to say, and understand my heart better being Christians also. And maybe in the future they could help me in La Manga if that was what God wants.

So I told Juan I was leaving for about a week to seek God’s heart and that I would be back again. I didn’t mention I was going to a party that night, because He wouldn’t understand that I had one more appointment before my time alone with God.

                                   (to be continued)
·        
·       Next week— The New Year Eve Celebration.