August 24, 2013

Amazing Grace



About two weeks ago, I was told the apartment I was staying in was being rented to someone else, and that I had only two more nights to stay in it that were paid for. I thanked Juanita for her kindness, all the meals and for letting me have the apartment. After she left, I tried to stay calm and not worry. So I went to my room, fixed a nice meal, prayed and watched a move, The Passion. However, I didn’t sleep very well that night, and the next morning I started thinking about my options which were close to none and nothing as nice as the furnished apartment, but then it was an awesome deal. 

Staying in that apartment for those four weeks was such a blessing. Sleeping in my van again would have been very difficult, especially this time of year. The next day it was 103 degrees by noon, and I needed a swim to cool off and talk to God, and let His peace wash over my soul. Then I met a man on the beach who had parked next to my van. He could speak English, so we talked and then I mention my problem. He suggested a place nearby that was nice and very cheap; he had stayed there a few weeks ago. I asked him to take me, but instead he told me exactly where it was and the color of the building. I thought this might be an answer, but it wasn’t. When I went looking for it, I found no such place that was open or for the price he had paid. So I went back to the apartment and waited on God in my air conditioned room.

At about 5pm, I saw Juanita go by the window, coming to my apartment. Much to my surprise, when I got to the door she was holding a large plate of hot food for me. As I took the plate I thanked her and also said, “I guess this is my last supper.” I don’t think she understood that part. Then she told me that I may not have to leave for another day or more, depending in a phone call. I thanked her and gave her a big huge. Went back to the bedroom, thanked God and ate a delicious fish and rice dinner, prepare with great care. I was overwhelmed, by her kindness and God’s amazing grace. 

At 7:30 that same evening it was still 107 degrees outside and the same temperature was predicted for the next day, along with some thundershowers. When I woke up, it was raining. So I decided to spend most of the day in the apartment and enjoyed a cool, dry place. When the time came, I knew God would have another place for me, but I just didn’t know where. 

The next morning, I went see Juanita, hoping to pay for another week. But, when I talked to her she indicated that I needed to be out in about hour, so she could change the towels and bedding. I said, “Okay.” Then I said to God, “Well, I guess it’s time to move.”

After I moved out, I stopped by Rosa’s house, to see if she knew of some places to stay. She had a friend’s whose house had two extra bedrooms upstairs available. However, when we got there the lady said her 21 year old daughter now lived in one of them and we would have to share the same bathroom. But the biggest problem at the time was that their water pump for their whole house was broken and she had no money to fix it. 

Rosa and I then went and looked at another place; it was a 36’ travel trailer. This owner also couldn’t speak English, so she helped me with the communication problem again. The man wanted 2000 pesos per month, and I wanted a little time to think about it, and then we left. The trailer was nice, clean and had everything I needed, but my main concern was about the A/C unit. When I went back to see him in less than an hour; I found him in the trailer laying on the bed and drunk. We moved to the dining table, where it was cooler, and I offered him 500 pesos for the first week to see if the trailer stayed cool enough. Then I might stay longer.

He was a small kind man, and I told him that God loved him and so did I. He began to weep, so I prayed for him. Then he spoke more, but I couldn’t understand most of what he said, except that I was a very good friend. He pushed the 500 pesos back to me and said no charge. I couldn’t accept that, nor could I get him to leave after he talked for another twenty minutes. I need to move my stuff in, eat and get some sleep. But he still would not go to his house which was just next door. I decided this was not a good idea; trying to do business with an intoxicated man. So I said good bye to him and left. It was getting late and I was being forced to do what I didn’t want to do. 

It was a very hot and humid and I was going to have to sleep in my van again. It was 95 degrees at 10:30pm, and it was nearly impossible; I was miserable. This was not good and I was not a happy camper. Everything was damp and beads of water were running down the inside of the windows. Then the Lord started helping me change my attitude. I believed God was still in control and I trusted Him. So I prayed, sang songs and tossed and turned all night. Sometimes, I even sat up and laughed at my circumstances and satan. I remembered that the apostle Paul had some pretty bad nights too. The last time I looked at the clock it was 4:32am. Thankfully, I finally fell asleep, but woke-up at about 6:30, because it was getting light, and the flies and mosquitoes were getting hungry. It was Sunday morning, 88 degrees and sticky. Again, I told God that I would trust Him and whatever happens, I would receive from Him with thanksgiving. 

Amazingly, I actually felt rested, so I went to two different air conditioned grocery stores to stay cool before going to the English speaking Community Church, which I had not gone to the week before. This was the same church where the former pastor, Rich, gave me money and then his computer after mine was stolen. Now the church had just voted in another pastor, with a 90% approval. However, he was also the only one who came recommended and spoke two Sundays. Then he and his wife went back to the States waiting for their decision. (He will start the first of November.) For some reason God keeps me coming back to this church.

Anyway, I got to the church a little early, so I greeted some people and one of the elders, whose name was Howard. He told me, “I just learned that you’ve been living in your van.” I was surprised, and so I briefly explained. Then he said, “I know someone that might be able to help you. His name is Jerry and he has a business with a house that is going to be empty for a couple months. And I’ll introduce you to him when he gets here.” I thanked him, and then I met Jerry a little later. This was another one of those “Divine Appointments.”

I will try to keep this part short even though a lot was said and done. After church, Jerry lead me to where he had a business of selling beds, rugs and window blinds, plus some other things out of a large storage building, about 40’x90.’ But next to it was a nice large one story house. As we walked through the house with three bedrooms, three bathrooms house, a small kitchen that had a refrigerator where the stove had been and a nook nearby, plus other living areas and an office. All the floors were either tile or wood planking.

There were separate A/C unit in each bedroom and in the main living areas. All Gerry asked me to pay for, was the water bill and electricity use during the time I was there. I agreed, we estimate it would be about 550 pesos a week ($50), and I would pay that to his accountant. 

Jerry bought the place used and now the house was unfurnished, other than a few items. It needed some minor repairs, plus there were no doors on the bedrooms at this time. We picked a bedroom that also had an overhead fan and light. Jerry suggested blocking the doorway and another opening with some large Styrofoam panel that were out in the warehouse. They would help keep the cool air confined and the cost down, and there was a full bathroom just across the hall. All I would have to do is just side the panel to get in and out; no problem.

I was able to sleep in the house that night, after a got the panels up and a nice 6” thick mat from the missionary retreat; it was one that Jerry had given them. I also added a small dining table, a chair and large mirror that I found. Then I put my camp stove out on the back patio on a small stand and I was all set in my new home. There are also five outdoor cats that I needed to feed and water while Gerry and his wife are gone, until the middle of October. 

My new home
This was just what I needed (maybe not the cats), and the Lord had it all planned out. I didn’t really need to go looking, but I’m glad I did, for the people I got to met. I only had to spend one difficult night in the van, and I still have internet access. This also seems to indicate that I may be staying longer in this area. But the most incredible thing about all this was God’s timing and meeting Jerry. They were leaving in two days, and the place would have sat empty, but now I have a house to live in and keys and a new friend.
 
Jerry and I got off to a great start as I shared more details about my live, faith and love for God and the Mexican people. He was quite surprised with my some of my experiences and in living by faith. Jerry also loves God very much, and we got to know each other even better the next day. He is 54 years old, an American who was born and raised in Mexico until he was 13. So he also speaks fluent Spanish, Jerry and his wife, Adriana, live in a condo on the marina not far from here and have another home in Arizona where they are going to spend some time. His wife is from Argentina, and is not a Christian, (yet). 

Jerry graduated from Bethany Bible College in Southern California and served as a young pastor for a while until a painful divorce ended that. Now, he is hoping someday of using this place for the Lord’s work, including a Christian radio station to preach the Gospel. After we talked for a while, I prayed for Jerry, and asked God to bless him and their marriage, and that the Lord would also give him a vision of His plans and a deeper relationship with Him.
Before leaving the first day, Jerry asked me to keep him in my prayers. The next day I also met some of his friends and I prayed with one of them. Near the end of that day he said to me that he needed a friend like me. Wow! 

The Lord and my Best Friend, is sooooooo amazing and Good. I believe God is definitely getting ready to do something awesome in Mexico. His amazing grace makes everything all worthwhile.