May 3, 2010

A Career With God


What would you like to be when you grow up? This innocent question is often asked of children just to see where their little minds are going. It was also a popular question asked of children on the Art Linkletter Show back in the 1960's, and he wrote a book, Kids Say the Darnedest Things. It is always surprising to hear how kids answer the question and why. It is also one of the precious moments in a parent's or teacher's life, hearing young children talk about what they want to aspire to when they grow up. Their answers vary greatly, from the creative to the usual; doctor, policeman, fireman, nurse and veterinarian. But when children get older and start thinking about college and careers, the question becomes more serious. And paying for that extra education is another issue. Now that we are older, most of us still have dreams and ambitions of what we want or would like to be, even us Christians.

Even though I was raised in church life, it wasn't until 18 years of age that I gave my heart to Jesus. Until then I had been straddling the fence; I believed in God, the Bible and the Son of God, or so I thought, but I had nothing personal. In my own mind I wasn't bad either, because I didn't smoke, drink, have sex, dance, date, party, swear too much, or associate with those who did. I think I was pretty typical of most kids raised in Christian families back in the early sixties. My life wasn't exciting nor was it boring to me. I was happy, or so I thought. I had just finished high school with above average grades and was thinking of going to the University of Washington to become an architect. I enjoyed painting in an art class in high school, however I made some money drawing house plans for my uncle who would then build the houses with my dad's help. And so I thought that would be a good career choice.

But something changed that first night during a Youth Rally, in 1965, that lasted five nights. The church had a guest speaker, and I was sitting with a girlfriend along with about thirty others kids, plus some adults. After his sermon, which wasn't particularly stirring to me, the preacher asked if there was anyone interested in accepting Jesus Christ as their savior. My girlfriend raised her hand along with some other young people. I became convicted in my heart, realizing I had done nothing to influence her life for Christ because I had been totally self-centered. I too, needed to make a decision for Christ and so I did. I went down to the altar with the other young people. Then I confessed my sins and accepted Jesus Christ into my heart as my personal Lord and Savior. My thoughts and focus changed and I felt different and clean inside. I wanted more of God, and so a few nights later I was filled with the Holy Spirit and spoke in tongues with my arms raised over my head for 2 hours as I praised God. (Both, humanly impossible). I was definitely different now, even though I didn't fully understand the significance of everything that had been and was happening. Even the other young people noticed a difference in me. All I knew was that I wanted more of God and His power to live my life for Him. After that I also wanted to read the Bible more as to know Jesus better.


I had enrolled at a Bible College a few weeks before the youth rally, because I needed another year of a foreign language so I could attend the University. I had never been to the campus before I applied. Nor did I have any idea of what a Bible College would be like, other than a place I thought the girls would be wearing long hair and dresses, and the guys would be carrying Bibles, and everybody desired to serve God in some capacity.

I was also surprised to be accepted, because I had lied on some of the application questions concerning my personal faith, fearing I would not be accepted. Even the pastor had approved my application. I was a little afraid about going, but now I was looking forward to it. Well, I was in for another surprise when I finally started at the little college of about 400 students. Not everyone was interested in serving God or was even a Christian, some had enrolled because it had been required by their parents for some reason. (Including if their child wanted their education paid for. The price was $300 per quarter plus books, if you lived on campus. Hard to believe, but that was 1965)

I enjoyed college even though it was a challenge, because now I wanted to do good and be honest, no cheating as I had done on some tests in high school. I especially enjoyed the Bible courses, but not the others basic courses required if I was to go to the University. Maybe I could do some church architecture as well as houses. But, God had other plans for me now that He had me there.

During the first quarter, my mother drove me the six miles to college. To get back home I either hitchhiked, walked or a friend drove me. The next quarter, I was finally able to buy a 56 Chevy, for $150, from the son of the college president. I paid for the car and all my school expenses by selling my paintings in art shows as well as painting houses for my uncle.

After I had completed my first quarter of school, God started dealing with me about the future. God had plans for me and the University wasn't in his picture. It seemed to me that he wanted me to continue where I was in the Bible School. But what was I to become if I stayed? Then God asked me if I was willing to be evangelist? After thinking it over for a while, I said sure why not, I loved talking to people about the Lord. Being His witness and traveling would be fun. So I informed the college that I would be continuing my stay there after the first year. I did well in all the Bible courses but I struggled with the other ones, and some of teachers just didn't appeal to me much. I also noticed the teachers all seemed to have their own slant on God and His powers which seemed strange to me. It was also disappointing to see that not everyone had a passion for Jesus.

During the next year (and some serious soul searching), God asked me if I would be a missionary? I asked what happened to the evangelist? No answer. I had heard many stories about missionary life, some good and some bad—if you lived through it, not to mention where you would live or what you would eat. Finally I said, "yes, I will go wherever you want me to go, I will be a missionary." A few months later God asked me if I would be a pastor? I replied, no way, end of conversation. From my observations, that was the most ungrateful calling a man could ever be placed in. Pastors did a lot of work, and poured out their hearts and got very little results.

I remember a particular incident with our pastor. Every Sunday morning and evening he would preached good messages. After the evening sermon he would invite the congregation to either pray in their seats or come down and pray for a while at the altar before leaving church. Almost everyone prayed, but after five minutes people would look up to see if anyone had moved yet, because you didn't want to be the first one to get up to go visit someone before leaving; you might feel a little guilty if you did. Within a few more minutes almost everyone was up and visiting one another. This went on for months until one evening after a heartfelt message, the pastor told the congregation not to bother coming down to pray if it were just for show, and to go home without talking to anyone and think about what he had said. Wow! The truth had finally been spoken.

To be continued.