May 18, 2010

Missing The Bus


How many of you have ever missed getting somewhere because you were late to the airport, or to the train station or bus terminal? And when you arrived the counter attendant said, "I'm sorry that flight [or train or bus] has already left." There you stand in shock, thinking how could they leave without me? You had plans and appointments and people waiting or depending on you; and now you won't be there, because you were a little late. And then there are those people who seem to be late, wherever they go.

Many of us have had such experiences or situations. Some people write it off as that's the way it is, or those things just happen, or it's the other person's fault. Sometimes it's the weather or traffic congestion. Other times there are unexpected accidents. But most of the time, it's our fault. The bottom line is that we often get up too late, forget to set the alarm, hit the snooze alarm too many times, or we cleaned the kitchen before leaving, or spilled coffee on our clothes, or loose a favorite earring, or a dozen other things that were not really a priority. Something you just felt you had to do before heading out the door. I had one such experience, and it changed my life.

Back in 1994, I was 47 years old and had been doing some serious soul-searching. I had been praying on a mountain two hours every morning before going to work. I was seeking a deeper walk with God, and had planned on doing this for 40 days. When the 40 days were almost over, I felt I needed more guidance. So I told my family I was going to see a minister, who happened to be a prophet, that lived in Texas. I had heard incredible things about his life from cassette recordings a friend had sent me and I felt this prophet could help me. So I wrote the minister a letter asking if I could meet and talk with him. I needed to know if I was on the right track with God, because I had been having some strange dreams. I hadn't heard back from him, but felt I was to go see him anyway.

A bus company was offering a one way travel special for $69, to anywhere in the continental US. So I purchased a ticket and was headed to Texas. It took three days and two (miserable) nights. (Trying to sleep while sitting up is not normal or fun.) When I finally arrived, I learned that my letter wasn't taken seriously. I had planned to stay over a month and I would exchange a painting to anyone who would provide room and board. There was a young divorced man from the church who was kind enough to help me. But, the minister (the prophet) I came to see was out of town for a few more days. I didn't see that as a problem considering that I would be there for a while.

After he came back I still didn't see him, but met with one of his associates. Finally, I got to see him, but was surprised by his attitude and then he accused me of having an independent spirit, after consulting with his associate. He also told me that if I wanted his help I would need to move my family there—to Texas.

I thought and prayed about it, after all he was a prophet and I was nobody. While there, I went to every meeting they had. I saw some interesting things in the meetings, but also saw some things that bothered me. Finally, one night I felt God was telling me that it was time to leave. This prophet had talked about the need for spiritual fathers. Yet, I felt God was telling me this man was not the one for me, but another young man I had met five years before was to be. We had seen each other a few times over the years and had corresponded at times. So I called him up and we talked. Then I asked him if I could spend a few days with him, also if he would meet me at the bus station in his town. He said, "Yes."

I was back on a bus again, heading the right direction. I was going to see the right person this time, and he would meet with me. During the bus ride back, I felt much better. I had even given up my seat to a young mother and child that got on the already full bus, because the bus service picked up other passengers along the way whether there were available seats or not. There was also a young foolish man sitting at the back of the bus causing trouble. And he wouldn't stop smoking after being warned several times. When we arrived at the next destination the police were waiting for him.

We would be there for a short break so the passengers could get off and stretch and get a snack. But, before we got off the bus, the driver told everyone, "When it comes time to leave, keep your eyes on the driver and not the bus."

Well, I thought I knew how long the wait would be, judging by the other stops we had made. So I took a walk looking for a market. I wanted something to eat, but had less than two dollars on me and no credit cards. I walked one way for a block, no market. I then went back past the bus and headed the other direction, finally I found a small market across the street. I looked back at the bus but couldn't see the door side or the driver. However, I felt I still had time so I went in to buy a candy bar. After a few minutes of not being able to decide, I left the store, not buying anything. But, when I looked down the street the bus was gone. I was horrified; this can't be happening to me. I went back to the bus station and everyone was gone but me. The office clerk informed me that it would be another five hours before the next bus would come through. I had plenty of time to think about my mistake and call my friend. So I took another walk.

While walking, I cried out to God, "Why me? I've been good. I didn't cause any trouble. I gave up my seat. Why, didn't you say something?" The Lord said, "I did. Don't you remember what the driver said?" "But, he's just a bus driver," I replied. "Yes, but, when you're on his bus, he is your authority."

That was another principle I was learning, but forgot to apply it to my own life. Then I felt guilty, ashamed and like a fool. The prophet was right; I was independent. Then God impressed on me that such was not true, that I was his son. He also showed me that the Father disciplines his sons because of His love for them. He let me know that yes, I had made a mistake, but now you won't forget how much I love you. We must remember to keep your eyes on the driver, Jesus. He's taking us where we need to go.

After that, I was able to walk down the street with joy in my heart and my arms raised praising God for his wonderful love for me. I was able to take the next bus so I arrived five hours later; my friend and my baggage were waiting there for me. (Five is the number for grace.) It is God's grace that gets us through our lives. My friend was Sheldon David, and he has been a special friend ever since. Also, I will never forget the lesson I learned that day.

It is important that we submit to God's authority wherever we go. But, mostly it is important that we keep our eyes on Jesus. We should never allow ourselves to be distracted by carnal desires or relationships. We need to be ready to move whenever He does. Also, whenever God disciplines us, it's for our good no matter how much it hurts. So what if we look like fools? It's better to learn now before it's too late, than to arrive at the end of life's journey and find out we took the wrong bus.