December 3, 2010

The Sands of Abraham

 And the Lord said to Abraham, "I will greatly bless you and I will multiply your seed... as the sands of the seashores," (Gen. 22:17). Today, we can still see the power of that promise being fulfilled in the nation of Israel. There are about 13,500,000 Jews in the world and less than half of them live in Israel. They account for about .02% of the worlds population, and two million live in New York City. Their numbers would have been about twice that, had it not been for the Holocaust. God made some awesome promises to Abraham and we are still seeing the power of them unfolding today, even to the stars (the spiritual sons) in the Kingdom of Heaven.

It was the summer of 1968, and I had finished my third year of Bible College. I wanted to get away and travel a little. So at the age of twenty-one I spent two weeks traveling with my younger brother, Dale Vorhees, who was in the US air force, stationed in England. He got two weeks leave and we drove his new VW bug, and did Europe on $5 a day. We saw eight countries, a lot of interesting and beautiful people and great scenery. We also saw their nation's capitol, art museums, famous sculptures and many historical sites. However, when the two weeks were over, I decided I wanted to see more. I still had some extra money that I made from an art show. So my brother and I parted our ways at the Paris airport, and I flew to Israel to spend a week seeing and walking the land where Jesus and the Patriarchs walked. I wondered how much the land and people had changed from almost 2000 years ago? I also wondered, how much Jesus' life would change my future?

The plane landed in Tel Aviv near the Mediterranean coast of Israel.  I got a room at a cheap hotel for one night near the beach. It was a beautiful warm evening, and after my dinner I decided to take a walk on the boardwalk to see the sunset and watch the people. They too were out walking and enjoying themselves with friends and family. Some were eating and drinking at the small cafes, restaurants and inns that lined the boardwalk. Others just stood around and talked. I hadn't walked very far, when I was approached by a pretty young women who seemed very friendly. After a few causal questions and answers, she asked me if I wanted to sit and have a drink with her at a nearby table. I said, "Sure, why not." I wanted to learn more about the Jewish people.

We sat down and a waiter came up and asked what we wanted. I said a Coke. Then she waited to see if I would buy her a drink, but I didn't. I figured she was the one who asked me, so she declined when the waiter asked her. When he left to get my drink, we talked a little more and then she asked if I wanted to go up stairs to a room. I was very naive then, but the light was beginning to come on as to what she was and wanted. I sat stunned for a moment and I didn't know what to say. However. before the waiter came back with my drink, I slowly got up without saying a word and walked away not looking back. The last thing I hear her say was, "But your Coke?"

I spent the next few days seeing the Promise Land that probably looked nothing like what Joshua saw when he spied out the land. The consequences of sin and judgment had taken their toll on this land, but you could see an effort was being made to improve it. The culture had changed greatly and the Western world seemed to have a lot of influences on it. Almost everything had changed, but these people were still the seeds of Abraham. They are a beautiful people, proud and friendly, especially toward Americans. However, religion and certain virtues seem to be a thing of the past.

One afternoon, when I was riding a bus in Jerusalem, I got into a conversation with a single mother and her young teenage daughter. After a while they asked me if I had a place to stay. I replied no and then she invited me to their home for dinner and spend the night. I felt this was different from my first night experience, so I accepted. They had a very nice home and while we were eating dinner the daughter asked if I had gone to college and what I had studied for? I told her yes and I had planned to be a minister. She was very surprised at first, because that was a political position in Israel. The mother realized what I meant and explained to her it was a position in a religious system. Then the daughter said, "Why would you want to do that?" I explained in simple terms, but she did not seem impressed.

The next day I saw the old parts of the city, but there were still many restrictions on where tourist could go in Jerusalem and in the country. It had only been fifteen mouths since the Six-Day War, and there were still armed soldiers everywhere. I also went to the Golan Heights, Bethlehem, and the Garden of Gethsemane where very old olive trees still stood, that were alive when Jesus prayed there. Then I went to the tomb that was believed to be Jesus' burial site. What a different world this would be, if people really understood the significant of that empty tomb. (I too, came out of that tomb in Jesus Christ.)

Then I took a 3-day Bus and Boat Tour of the southern region of Israel. There were about 30 tourist on this trip, young and old, Jews and Gentiles. We traveled south is an old bus that had no air conditioning, to the coastal region of the Suez (next of the Red Sea). Then inland until we reached an old mission at the base of what they believed to be Mt. Sinai. There we ate our dinner and went to bed early, because we would be getting up at 4AM (for those who wanted to hike) and begin our climb to the top of Mt Sinai (7,500 feet above sea level) in the cool morning air. (Mid-day temperatures in August were about 120 Degrees.)

The next morning the host of the tour gave me a machine gun to carry. I asked, "Why?" He said, it was because I was young and strong, and that there were often enemy attacks on tourist groups. He also had a gun. I asked, what should I do if that were to happen. He said, "Point and shoot, and we'll ask questions later." I was not expecting that, and I was praying we wouldn't have any such encounter. We also learn that morning that a Egyptian-Russian Mig was shot down during the night, not far from where we were.

About twenty of us left the mission and headed out into the desert night. It was very dark and flashlights were not to be used. The guide said, it would be easier to see where we were going, if we allowed our eyes to adjust to the starlight. It worked and eventually the morning sky got lighter. We walked and talked for a couple hours. Then I asked the guide if it was OK to go ahead of them. They felt we were safe enough for me to leave the main group, as long as I could still see them. I followed the narrow rocky path up the steep mountainside. Near the top of the mountain, Catholic monks had made a stairway of a thousand stone steps to the summit. Going down the mountain would be much easier and quicker.

When I got to the top, I looked around and then sat down. Then I opened my pocket New Testament and read Psalms 8 (I still remember reading,"O Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth...When I consider Your works of your hand...what is man that you are mindful of him.") and some other passages and prayed. The machine gun was laying at my side, but I had no fear, for the Lord was with me. It was an awesome view from up there, as I watched the sunrise over the desert and the tour group far below, but it was also desolate as far as the eye could see (over a hundred miles). This was the land where the children of Israel wandered and lived by the hand of God for 40 years. Wow, what an awesome God!

When we got back down the mountain we had lunch with the others and then headed to the coast where we would board a small ship and sailed around the southern tip of the Sinai Peninsula and back up the Gulf of Elath. Before we sailed, we were allowed to swim and snorkel in the Red Sea. I even did a swan dive off the second deck of the ship into the water. Some people said, I reminded them of Tarzan. That evening aboard the ship a pretty young Jewish women, named Eva, whom I met with her boyfriend and talked with the past couple days, offered herself to me. Again I was surprised, but I declined and explained why. The next morning we arrived at a port city, where we boarded a bus with A/C. On the way back, we stopped for lunch by the Dead Sea which was very big and salty. Our 3-Day tour tour ended back in Tel Aviv.

It was my last night in Israel before flying out to Amsterdam the next morning and then to Seattle, Washington USA. I really enjoyed my visit and had many other interesting experiences. I decided to take one last walk on the same boardwalk. As I was walking, I was thinking about all the fascinating places and people, when a young women came up to me. You guest it! The same one I met the week before. I said, "Don't you remember me? She could not remember and I said, "I'm sorry, but no thanks," and left her again.

This land was promised to Abraham forever. The land and the Jewish Nation are special to God in spite of their waywardness, and He continues to protect them and keeps bringing them back to it. But, what happened to the sons of Abraham and the early Church? Where's the love for God and Jesus Christ? In a way it is a sad love story, but it does have a happy ending—all will be restored. (Ezekiel 39:25-29)

Note: I love God's people and the country of Israel. My life has also changed a lot as the results of meeting Jesus Christ and getting to know my Heavenly Father. But, I didn't realize just how much and what it all meant until this past week. About six months ago the Lord said that He had changed my name to Israel, because I had the heart of the patriarchs. However, last Friday in our evening prayer meeting He explained more. The Lord said, the reason for the name change and the hardships you have experienced are a prophecy and so is your restoration. It is a picture. Your name prophecies of a greater name, the Nation of Israel—their problems, their salvation and their restoration.

A month ago the Lord told me that I think too small. The steps you have taken throughout your life effect others far more than you realize. Now I'm beginning to see and understand why. My words and actions would help bring salvation to the nation of Israel. God also said that something major would happen between the year 2016 and 2017 in the land Israel. He said, "As it is written, and all Israel shall be saved." (Romans 11:26) How that is accomplish, God only knows. When God was through talking to us, I was speechless and amazed. God even explained why certain things happened to me, that I had no idea until that evening. That night, God kissed my soul alive.
My prayer of faith for the nation of Israel—Father God, I declare that more of your sons are praying for and supporting the nation of Israel. You have placed a longing and a desire in the hearts of people in Israel to know the Truth. They have become jealous of what they see in God's other sons and daughters. Their eyes have been opened to see their way home to the Heavenly Father, and they are disparate for Him. Their ears are open and ready to hear His voice and listen to the heart of God and His prophets. Their hearts are now softened and ready to be molded into yours. 
Father, I declare that you are multiplying them and raising up more Jewish sons and daughters with a passion and a zeal for the Lord, that will kindle a flame that can't be quenched, until all Israel is consumed by the fire of your Holy Spirit and completely restored. Father, you have forgiven them and have removed their guilt, shame, bitterness and the pains of their past sufferings. You are creating in them a new heart and a love for you, your people and your Word. Their future is perfect and beautiful and they are flourishing. They love their neighbors and have found true peace in the Prince of Peace—Jesus Christ our Lord and Messiah. Amen.
Lord willing, if I'm ever given the opportunity, I would love to go back to the country of Israel and demonstrate His love and power again. (I believe I will.) In the meantime, I will continue to intercede for them. My life and suffering is for their sake and for others, and it is worth it all. The Lord said, that I alone could not contain the glory or the pain that is attach to the future of this Nation. Israel is the apple of God's eye, as are all of God's sons, and I'm honored to have the name, Israel.

A further note: The situation in Israel is really not that much different then the history of the United States. This country was founded by godly men and Christian principles, yet we have come a long ways from Christ and His example. I believe the United States is also a picture of Israel, we too have left our first love. My prayers and faith is for both countries to see full restoration as well as many other nations. The hope of this world still lies with the seed of Abraham—Jesus Christ and His sons.

* When I was born on April 28, 1947, my parents gave me the name Larry Allen Vorhess. I was seventeen when I gave my life to Christ. On December 26, 1996 I had a dream that showed me that my name would be changed to Israel. I also felt impressed to change my middle name. It took some time for this to happen, because of the name and the circumstances. In December of 2000, I legally changed my name to Israel David Vorhees, but I knew in my heart it would be changed again. In December of 2006 the Lord said, "You need to change your name," which meant it was time to drop my last name, Vorhees. Two weeks later I legally dropped the last name, leaving my name as Israel David. The name God alway intended for me to have in the Kingdom of God. This was difficult for my family and parents to understand, but I needed to obey God, but in time they too will understand. 

In this article I appear to be a young man of high morals and integrity, unfortunately they didn't last. I too left my first love, Jesus Christ. As a result, I experienced many years of frustrations and sinful behavior. But, thanks to God for his love, grace and restoration; I am a different man today. A man who sees the future. Amen!