November 10, 2012

The Extra Mile


Amigos
Many times in life we find ourselves in situations where we offered to do something, but in the process it cost us more than we had originally planned or expected. Some people will bailout because it’s too difficult, or requires more time and/or too much money. Still others will help, but complain. However in the story of the Good Samaritan, the man Jesus talked about was different, he even when the extra mile and more.

This past week I had the opportunity to help Juan with his truck. It has many issues, but the main one was it has not been able to run for the last four months, and did not had the money to fix. So I asked him, what was wrong and how much to get it running again? He said part of the motor was no good and he had a friend to help, but he was away fishing at the time. The labor alone would cost about a thousand pesos and the parts, maybe a little less. I told Juan I would like to help him with the cost. So we wait for the right time, which was a lot longer than I thought, but somethings down here works at a different pace than in America.

Finally Aaron, the mechanic was available and he took Juan into town to get the parts. However, when he started to put the motor back together, he noticed that the alternator was “no good.”  So I took Juan into town the next day and bought him a new one and some anti-freeze too. On the way into town, we heard a strange sound in the backend of my van near the rear wheel. So we check it out, and noticed that the rear wheel was a little loose. So when we got back from town, I took the wheel cover off and found that all the lug nuts were loose and about to fall off, so Juan tighten them up again and checked to others to see if they were tight, and they were.

Then Aaron put everything back together on the engine, but when they started the motor, but it didn’t sound good and there was no compression in two of the four cylinders. So Aaron decided he and his helper were going to have to take it all apart again and find out what the problem was, if Juan’s truck was going to run right. It turn out that the head gasket was blown and two lifters may have some issues. They worked after dark by a 12volt light connected to the extra battery that I had given Juan for his truck, since there wasn’t one in it. Then we stopped for the night and all went to bed.  

Then next day when I went to get Juan, but found out he had already left with Aaron. So I decided to go into town with God and we had a good time just the two of us and got some things for Juan’s family and me to eat. I have never seen such a generous family as Juan’s. It seems like they are always inviting people to eat with them, including me.

When I got back, Juan had already returned from town. Aaron showed me that the head to the motor had to be resurfaced and two lifter valves were repaired. They continued working on the truck until after dark again, but finally got it running. I knew all this was going to cost more, but I just didn’t know how much. So I asked Juan after Aaron had left, just how much. He said it would be 2000 pesos ($160.00 in American). I was happy and surprised after all the work Aaron and Luis had done, (over 24 hours) plus two trips into town. Now that’s what I call, true friends.  

The next day, I gave Aaron his 2000 pesos and an extra 500; he was very grateful. Then I gave Juan 500 peso to buy new motor oil, filter and a light to replace a broken headlight. Then I threw some water on his truck and told him to wash it, which he gladly did. After he was through washing, I got an old undershirt, which I tore it in half and can of Carnauba Cleaner Wax, and told him how to “wax on and wax off” and he gladly did that too.

Then we drove into to down in his shinny red truck to get those things that still needed to be replaced. There are many other things still broken on his truck, such as no way to get in or out of the passenger side, only the gas gage works, and the windshield has several cracks, plus both taillight covers were broken, but for now at least the truck ran good and he was very happy. Seeing the smile on his face as he drove into town made it worth every peso I gave, and God was smiling too. On the way the Lord told me I was just beginning to see the fruit of my labor.

The next morning as I headed to Juan’s house I saw he was going fishing. So I grabbed my camera and headed to the beach just as they where pushing off. Juan said they would be gone only a few hours and that was fine with me.  

All of this is just part of sowing into ones life and building a relationship that will last forever. I believe Juan and his family will have a great influence on this town and in Mexico for the Kingdom of God. 

I've also enjoying helping others, since being in La Manga, I have given away most of my food and money to the people here, and I hope to continue to do this and more for them and others in Mexico as God leads me. 
"All creation awaits the appearance of the sons of God."
The miracles are coming one step at a time. In the meantime, God is also restoring my soul too. Everyday I see expressions of His love and faithfulness for me. I keep pouring out my love to God’s children and He just keeps pouring His love back into me as we walk hand in hand in the land of Mexico. Day or night He is always there by my side and in me, and this I believe is the most important thing I’ve learned; my Heavenly Father is also my, mucho Buenos Amigo. (Very Good Friend)
A beautiful sunset to end another wonderful week in La manga

Note: Next week, some comments on the president reelection.
Sunrise to begin a new week