November 24, 2012

Part of the Family


Sunrise from where I park at night.

Last week Juan invited me into their house to have some hot milk with some creamy flavor add to it and some muffins. We sat at the kitchen table where we also eat some of our meals, since the weather has gotten cooler. Otherwise we eat at a table outside under a cover patio. At first I though the milk was made with oatmeal which I have also had with them before, but when I realized it wasn’t, I went out to my van and got some coco mix that I made before leaving Washington. We all added it to our drink and really enjoyed it. Then Juan told me how grateful he and his wife were for helping him get his truck fixed and that if I had not come to La Manga it may not have gotten fixed. And now he is able to help others and take his family into the other cities and other places as well. I really appreciated seeing and hearing their gratitude.
Juan and Manuela in their bedroom 
Then we moved into their bedroom, which also act as a family room, because it is larger 20'x10' and has a 12volt TV and a light overhead; Manuel bedroom is in another separate area off to the other side of the kitchen. Then I asked Juan if they had any wedding pictures of them together, since there were none hanging on their walls. He said, no because they were not married in a church, but through a court system where they got a certificate of marriage. However, Manuela got down a large envelope full of photographs and Juan show me all their family and baby pictures of them and Manuel growing up. I really enjoyed that; it made me feel like a part of their family. I can see that they both really love each other and are very happy and content. Juan said they have a roof over their heads, good food and nice clean clothes; all the other material things matter very little as long as they have each other.  Something you rarely see today in many families in the United States. However, the next day satan tried to discourage me by telling me, they would get tired of having me hanging around and they would want me to leave. But I cast those thoughts away, I have so much to tell them and this community, and God will be the one who decides when its time for me to leave and not until then. I just need to be patient and trust in God’s timing.

A couple days later, looked as though it would be just another quiet day, but that afternoon after lunch, Juan asked if I would like to get together with Russ and another American couple for some better communication. I said, “Yes.” So he called his friends to see if it was okay and then he went and bought some lobsters to take and eat while we visited. This was what I have been praying and waiting for. So we all then over to his friend’s house in my van, including an adorable little niece. She really likes me and wanted to come along also. So Juan sat up front with me and the other three sat on my bed in the back. They all thought that was fun too.

When we got there it turn out the first couple spoke very little Spanish. I told the man why I was in Mexico and he let me know right off from the start that he didn’t believe in a literal translation of the Bible and that he believed it was mostly historical and Jesus was just a good man. I told him I understood his feelings or beliefs and I was not there to change them.

However, when Russell the scuba instructor and next-door neighbor, finally came over with his Spanish wife, Aloisia, thing began to change. While we sat around a large covered table outside waiting for the lobsters to cook, I talked and Russ translated for me. Juan and Manuela could then understand me better. Manuel and the little girl sat at a different table nearby or played with the huge German Sheppard that lived there also. First of all, expressed my deepest love and appreciation for all they have done for me. Then we talked a little about the cultural differences in family and in husbands and wives. I talked about why I was in Mexico and in La Manga, and shared some of God’s love for each of them sitting there and all the beautiful people of Mexico. I could tell Russ’ wife was really touched by what I was saying and she asked Russ in Spanish, what my faith was. He replied that I was a Christian. Then I got bolder, and clarified that I was not like many other ministers or preachers. I was a man of God and a disciple of Jesus Christ. I was also not tied to any denomination or organized religious organization. All these religions were man-made. Where many men tell people what they where taught, how serve God by doing certain things, and where to give their money. I said we should be lead by the Holy Spirit and that it is up to God to change us and not man. We were to follow Jesus Christ example on how to live. Jesus met people in homes, fields, on mountainsides and even by the seashore. Just like we are tonight, He wants to live in us and communicate with us, because we are his temple and not a building made by man. 

I’m here to demonstrate God’s love, by helping and giving to people. And to speak God's heart and to be His voice when He has something special for me to say to them. And I believe we will see many miracles in the days ahead. But for now, I too am waiting on God for His Presence and Grace to come to Mexico.

When I was through speaking I thanked Russ for his help. Russ said that I expressed exactly what he felt and that he felt the Holy Spirit helping him interpret my words. Wow, I was not expecting him to say that, but praise God anyway!
Aloisia, Juan and Manuela
It was a great night, and then we enjoyed have our lobster dinner along with green beans, rice, and of course Coca-cola the main drink with meals for many people in Mexico. And Russ had his beer along with an after dinner cigarette. The rest of the evening was spent in casual talk with the men doing most of the talking about fishing and hunting.

I told Russ that I believed God would use him to help me with the language problem, and so the Lord has and maybe in the future as well before I leave La Manga.
Yes, that's my sword, sticking in the sand and claiming Mexico for the Kingdom of God
Later that week, I got to witness and bless three more Americans couples; two at the beach in La Manga and one at their home in San Carlos. The husband there was a former American rodeo champion and witness to them, and even with his wife for an hour while they worked on get his boat motor fixed. I even prayed for one of the moms at the beach who was pregnant and she thanked me for doing that as well. Yes, it was a great week and God has much more instore. Much more!

Note: Next week a special treat; more photos and less talk.