February 16, 2013

Alone With God


Welcome to my crazy world and unique life. 

I’ve wrestled with God for many years regarding my calling. I’ve also tried to compare myself with others and that only frustrated me. Many of the prophets, we see only the highlights of their lives condensed into a few pages or chapters or a book. In the book of Jeremiah we see more of his personal life and struggles than any other prophet, yet I’m not like him either. Even though I have shared much of my life, with it’s up’s and downs.

Jesus was and is the greatest Prophet of all, and yet we only saw the highlight of His life on earth. Very little was said about His private life or even his personal thoughts for as many pages that were written about Him. But we do know that He often spent time alone communicating with His Father. That time of communion was the most important time, and one of the best examples, I believe, He set for us.

I’m learning to accept my calling such as it is, even though some people may think it strange for a man to walk and sit in his van as much as I do at this time. However, I believe this time of solitude and communion is a part of God’s plan and a way to intercede for a people, a city and a nation. The learning process for each of us will be different, but to find true contentment we will have to accept God’s plan, and spent lots of time alone with Him.
Lately, I’ve done some thinking about Elijah, and although his life looks impressive, some things can be gleam from those moments when he wasn’t in the spotlight. Those were the times he spent alone with God, and I mean alone. For example, Elijah was feed by ravens, and got water from a brook, until it went dry. I don’t think that happen in a couple of days or even weeks. Then God provide food for Elijah through a widow in a foreign land, but in both situations his diet was limited and probably so was his social life. Most of us can’t even imagine doing anything close to that today. However, no one can spend too much time with God.

In my adventure with God, I could just drive around Mexico and see more sights, eat in nice restaurants and touch more lives, but then I would have less food and money to give others, and would I really be accomplishing what God wants—I don’t think so. And so I sit and wait and walk alone with God. At time it can be a challenge for my fresh that wants to be more active, but God has reasons and plan, even though I may not understand. But it’s becoming some of my best times too and it will prepare me for the days ahead. Besides, He is my only true friend and I trust Him.

There are some special times too. I find it fascinating what I can accomplish, even when you don’t speak the language. I have been able to bring healing and restoration to lost and broken lives with just a touch, little money, food, or even a hug to convey God’s love and compassion. As the Apostle Paul said, some sow, others water and some reap the harvest, but it’s the Holy Spirit that makes it grow. So I’m blazing a new trail for others to follow, and declaring restoration, life and liberty for the Kingdom of Mexico.

God’s love is so powerful that it even brings people to my van for all kinds of reason, sometimes just for a ride to another part of town. Sometimes I feel like I’m being used, but then Jesus must of felt that way many times. However, He said, “It is better to give than to receive,” so that’s what I do. I would like to help people more often, but the most important thing for me now, is spending time with my Heavenly Father, which I really enjoy

                                       Special Treats

Last month I got an extra special treat. A pod of Fin Whales past near La Manga and as I watched them from shore I saw a small boat come in that had been out close to them. I knew the young people, so I asked if they would take me back out to photograph the whales, and they did. There were nine whales and we got very close to some, in fact to close. But you never know where they might surface. I was taking pictures of one beside us when a very large one surfaced fifty feet behind us. It was over sixty feet long and it’s dorsal fin stuck out of the water about eight feet high and it look like we were being attacked by “Jaws” only larger. The driver put the boat in escape mode as I took my pictures of the other one when I looked and saw what he was running from. I didn’t get a picture of that one, just the memory, but a great one just the same.
I was taking this picture when there other one appeared behind us.

A couple weeks ago I also got to do something special for a friend in Guaymas. I met her at Angelieta’s house the first night and she goes to the same church, and now I have gone there too, even though it’s in Spanish, but their worship time is great. Her name is Francesca, and she has two boys that still live with her, ages 8 and 12, and three married daughters. She speaks very very little English. Angelieta had other plans after church, so I offered to take Francisca and her boys out to eat, even though we could barely communicate. I drove the scenic route to La Manga, which she enjoyed seeing while her boys sat in back and listen to my worship music, which they really enjoyed even though none of them understood the words. I took them to a very nice and popular restraint in La Manga, at the other end of town. I have always wanted to go to before I left there.

However, as we drove through La Manga I pointed out a couple of shacks that some people still lived in. Then Francisca commented that she too was “poor people.” I didn’t know how to respond, so I just kept quiet. At the restaurant, we were able to get a table that overlooked the ocean with the extinct volcanic mountains in the distant, which she and the boys really enjoyed. Plus the boys enjoyed seeing the live lobsters in a tank at the entrance of the building.


After eating we went to the beach, but it was cold and windy. So we then went to Edward’s house back in Guaymas. He’s the brother of Angelieta who is now a home pastor. Now Francis, Francisca, had someone she could talk to again. After a while, Luis Angel showed up and was able to help me communicate some. I told them I don’t know why God sent me to Mexico, when I couldn’t speak the language, but He obviously has His reasons. I’m still waiting to hear more on what all He has planned for me to say and do, other than He loves then and wants to set poor people free. In the meantime I give love, food and money.

It was getting late, so I drove Francis home. It was dark the last time Gabrielo drove her home and I didn’t see her house then. But, when I got to her house this time, I saw it. Francis was right; they too were poor people even though she has a job. She told me it was her sister house and then she thanked me for the special dinner. We hugged each other and said, goodnight. As we did I thanked her too and told her I loved her and I was so sorry, but she didn’t understand what I said or meant. After I left them, I told God it wasn’t right for one of His daughters to live like that and that somehow and someday, He would give her a real house of her own.

Francis is a lovely lady and the thing I love most about her is the way she worships God, you can tell she really loves Him. She is truly a daughter of the Heavenly Father. She told me that Jesus Christ was her husband. I agreed, and someday we will all know Him even better.