March 9, 2013

Fighting the Enemy



For the past few months, I have had to deal with attacks in many forms, some spiritual others physical, mainly my van or my health. In the past, when I had problems regarding my health, I stood my ground, by declaring, that by His strips I have been heal. Then when I came to Mexico, I chose to walk in Devine health. However, various attacks still continued. So I took it to God and told Him I was tired of always fighting the enemy, satan. Then God reminded me of King David’s life. David had to fight various battles before and after he was king of Israel. There was his natural enemy the Philistines, then there was King Saul who was jealous and then one time David’s own men wanted to stone him, because the enemy had raided their camp and stole all their possessions, including their wives. But, David always sought the Lord in what to do. He also had to fight the emotional battle of “how long.”

The only time David ran into serious trouble was when He chose not to fight anymore. And we all know what happened then. As a result it led to many serious family problems. Seeing his own son become his enemy was something he or any father could never imagine. That could have been his greatest pain, but another may have been when he realized he took his eyes off the Lord, and looked somewhere else for his pleasure and comfort. We’ve all been there sometime in our life and probably more than once, but thank God for His Love and Grace and Mercy.

Dealing with health issues (attacks) I have chosen to handle them differently than before.  God is my physician, dentist, and also my mechanic. I don’t want to stop giving to help the poor in order to meet those needs, and in most cases I can’t even communicate to others what those problems are anyway. Plus, I know that God can do a better job too. For example, one morning I felt something in the area just left of my stomach shift out of place. I saw and felt it happen and it was painful. Instead of focusing on the pain or fears, I started praying for the Body of Christ that might be experiencing something similar to that. Whenever I felt the pain, especially when I coughed or sneezed, I would repeat the prayer. After about a week it went away. Then a tooth and my gums on one side of mouth became very painful especially when eating. Another time I felt a painful lump in the middle of my foot. All of these problem and some others I now deal with in the same manor. The Apostle Paul said, when one part of the Body of the Body is hurting we all hurt for them. So I have chosen to reverse that thought and it's working. I no longer focus on me having the problem, but others in the Body of Christ—wherever they might be.

However, last week I had a battle of a different kind. One I didn’t expect nor would I like to see it happen again. Two of my M&M’s showed up at my van, when I was reading my Bible. They were very happy to greet me as usual. But, a few minutes later an older women, in her mid 30's, came by. I had never seen her before nor had the two younger girls. This woman came over to my van while we were talking and I was sitting with my door open now. She tried to get in on the action she though was about to take place. First, she asked me for a cigarette. Then she wanted some water, so I gave her some. Then she said, I didn’t want these two girls and offered to take a shower with me, with the water from my water jug. Then she pulled up her top garment and exposed herself to me in front of the other two girls. I tried to be nice, but I told her to go. I was annoyed and saw the embarrassment and frustration in the other two girls faces. But the women, whose four top front teeth were missing and was not very pretty at all, still would not leave. I thought maybe if I give her some money she would leave. So while I’m still sitting in the front passenger seat I reached into my jogging pants that I was wearing, that only have front pockets for money. I took out my wallet first and then gave her all my change, and put my wallet back in my pants. But she wanted more money, but I said no and told her to leave again. Then she wanted to have sex with me in exchange for more money and I said no. But the women then poked me in the crotch and said that I did. Now my youngest M&M (Bless her heart) said, “Don’t do that,” as the woman poked me again as I tried to stop “He’s not like that. He’s a man of God.” So when I heard her say that, I reached for my Bible on the dash to confirm it. However, as I reached for it, the women moved in closer and grabbed my crotch with one hand pretending to be giving me pleasure. Now my attention was totally focused on carefully removing the women’s hand off me, which was not easy. However, with her other hand she was busy removing my wallet, which I could not feel happening, because her body was pushing up against my leg and my mind was focus somewhere else.  As she was doing this, her body was also blocking the view of the two girls as to what she was really doing with both of her hands.

Finally I thought I got her hand off me, but I think she just let go, because she had what she really wanted all along—money. However, as she was walking away, to my relief, the Lord told me that she had taken my wallet. I slid my hand down over my pocket and sure enough it was gone. I quickly got out of the van and went after her. She was only about 18 feet away, and from behind her I could see she was trying to put something (my wallet) down the front of her pants. So I reached around her waist with my left hand to keep her from running and with my other arm I reached over her right shoulder and grab that middle of my wallet, which I could see was unfolded. Now, she couldn’t get the money or the wallet, but there was still a lot of resistance. I had to physically pull her hands off each end of the wallet, which wasn’t easy, but I eventually won. Then, I gave her a hard smack on her backside with an open hand. She immediately, turned around and gave me her middle finger and some ugly words that I didn’t understand. I slowly return to the van and then watched all three women walk away. But the youngest one eventually turned and waved goodbye, for now I hope. I was glad to hear what she said, about me being a man of God.

Silently, as I sat in the van and put my wallet back together from the struggle. I was shook-up to say the least, even though there was no damage or money missing. I had gone to the bank early that morning to get my money for the next month uses. I put half of it in my other Bible. However, there was still a lot in the wallet for any thief.

I was not happy about what just happened or how I had to handle it. But, satan lost anyway, first he tried to steel my wallet and then my peace, However, he lost on both accounts. I quickly forgave the women and I asked God to set her free. Then I took a walk with my Father, and we talked about it some more.

The bottom line of our conversation is that I will always trust God and I’m here to stay in Mexico; nothing will discourage me. And I will complete everything He has planned for me regardless of what the enemy tries or does. Hopefully I will never have to use my hand again for discipline. I would rather see them use for love, healing and restorations. I would also like to believe that my two M&M’s told the other woman she was wrong and that I was a good man. And how I helped them and other poor people in Mexico. 

The week before this experience, a man stopped by my van at 3:30am and tapped on my window, I could not understand what he wanted so I slid him a twenty pesos bill out the bottom opening of the sliding door window. But he gave it back and said he wanted more. I said no and slide it back again. Then he said he was cold and wanted in, but again I said no. Then he said he was hungry so I gave him a granola bar and he finally left. My doors were not locked and seldom are when I'm in it. I trust God for everything even while I sleep. 

Then a couple night later there was tapping on my window again, this time it was the police. The officer shined his flashlight in and could see a shinny white man in bed, I told him I could not understand him and that I was an American. Then he left, that was the first time they have checked on me here in Guaymas, even though they pass my van everyday many times. They haven’t done it again, but it’s nice to know others are watching out for me too. God said He is with me wherever I am; I just have to believe that, regardless of who shows up. And He’s also there to help me in every battle.

Jesus also had His battles, both physical and spiritual. And in every situation Jesus Christ was the victor, regardless of who the enemy was. We to can share in that victory, in whatever battle we face, as we place our complete trust in Him. Amen!
The youngest and sweetM&M
Her name is Victoria and she only 14,  God loves her and so do I
 (picture was taken by her sister after we all had hamburgers)

I thought this was the end of my article yesterday afternoon, but a week after the women took my wallet, the Lord brought her back. I was sitting in my van again, but on the drivers sit, working on an article and wearing a different pair of pants. When I hear someone coughing trying to get my attention I think, I looked up and saw a women standing about fifteen feet away, but she was not facing me at first. Then she slowly turned, for some reason I knew she was a prostitute, but I didn’t recognize her has she fooled with her hair.

"God help me," I prayed. Then I asked her what she wanted. She said some words in Spanish that I didn’t understand and then she looked away again but moved a little closer. I then asked if I could help. Then she turned and slowly came to me. As I sat in the van I open my door and she came up next to me still saying word I didn’t understand. For some reason I knew she was emotional hurting, as she stood there. So I slowly reached around her and pulled this poor broken child of God next to me and gently stroked her dark coarse hair, and prayed for her. Then she asked for some water. I didn’t bother looking for a glass; I just gave her my one-gallon water jug and let her drink. Then she asked for some food, so I reached over and gave her got some cookies, which she quickly ate. 

Then she started gesturing that she wanted to have sex with me. But I told her no and pointed to my Spanish Bible and told her, in Spanish, that Jesus Christ was my best friend and that He loved her and that I loved her. But she was still persistent about having sex of some kind, but every time she said the word or gestured, I said no, love. No sex, I love you. Then I reached over and got the little bottle of oil on the dash and anointed her forehead and prayed for her some more. Then she wanted music, so I played my worship music and just held her. Finally, she stared to settle down and relax in my arms. We listen to the music for over thirty minutes and then I shut it off to save my battery power. Then she persisted about having sex again, and that’s when I noticed for the first time that her top front teeth were missing. I started to get upset, and asked her to leave and but she kept wanting sex and I said no again. But she said, that she was hungry, so I gave her a granola bar. Then she said, “No, she wanted me to go get her a hamburger.” That confirmed it; she learned that from my M&M’s. 

However, her attitude was much different this time and she really knew now that I was serious about not have sex and that God loved her. I wasn’t going to get her a hamburger, so I gave her 50 pesos to go buy one or some other food, and the granola bar I handed back. Then she thanked me. As she left, I told her I was sorry I slapped her last time, and she understood. When she was about seventy feet away she turned around, smiled and waved to me. I realized then that God gave us both a second chance to forgive. That day she got what she really needed—food, money and most of all God’s love. By me demonstrating His love, grace and mercy I no longer had an enemy, but a new friend. It took a lot of courage for her to come back and now I understood why she acted the way she did when she first came. She was scared that I would be still mad. She was probably telling me she was sorry too, but I didn't understand, but it all still worked out for good. That day, she learned I was really kind, gentle and generous. And I love her too.

A few minutes later as I was rejoicing over what just happened, another young lady and her boyfriend showed up. She asked me for water and I gave her some from the same water jug. Her friend didn’t want any. This is Mexico, my life and I loving it.