May 31, 2013

Miss America



The place where Omar works is a retreat for missionaries, owned ty Arthur and Brenda Koenes



Faith never knows where it is being led,
But it knows and loves the One who is leading.
 Oswald Chambers

This past week many new doors have opened, as God uses Rosa and Pilar in ways that amaze me. Truly, God is preparing the way by Divine Appointments. People are coming to me and inviting me into their homes or the homes of friends. I continue to love, give and help others in San Carlos, and I am forever thankful for His leading. 

However, while I’m waiting to see what's behind thoses doors and where they may lead I will share a couple past stories that were lost when my first computer was stolen. Since then many things have happened, plus I have had some awesome time with God. He is truly my loving Father and my best friend.

Miss America

Late one afternoon back in Guaymas, I was walking back to my van parked by the bay, when I saw a beautiful young lady about a hundred feet from my van. She was standing next to her car, alone and eating a meal that was spread-out on the hood of her car. I walked close-by but got no reaction, when she saw me, so I continued on to my van and got in. However, as I sat there watching I was still drawn by her presence. I wanted to talk to her about God, but I didn’t know if she even spoke English. 

When she finished her meal, she got in her car and just sat there for the longest time. I wondered what she was doing. As I also sat, I asked God to speak to her and let her know how much He loved her, so that it would change her life forever, and to bless her, and her marriage and family. However, when I was through praying, I still felt God wanted me to speak to her, but I was a little afraid and I didn’t want to appear foolish. I questioned God, why would He bring a pretty girl for me to talk to. He answered, “Why wouldn’t I.” I had no reply, so I got out of my van and walked slowly over to her car. When I was about ten feet away she saw me so I asked her if she spoke English. “But of course,” was her reply with a slight curious smile, “Why do you ask?” I told her who I was and that I would like to talk to her. She said it was okay. Then I asked her if she believed in God. “But of course,” she replied again. Then I told her why I was in Mexico and that I had been praying for her. She admitted she was a little curious as to what I wanted the first time I came by. But, then she asked, “Why where you praying for me?” So I told her and she was very touched. Then she admitted that she too was praying to God.

I told her this was a Divine Appointment. She agreed and told me her name was Kari, spelt with a K and a "i" on the end, and that her middle name was America. She was 22 years old and had two older brothers, and she lived with her mother, but her father was no longer around. I told her I was sorry and that there were many families like that and she agreed. We talked until almost dark and then she needed to leave, but said she would like to meet again. However, it never happened. God is still watching over her, and she will get to know Him better too. He also sets the “Appointments,” and sometimes they’re not repeated. (Sorry no pictures of her.)

 Martha Martha
A few weeks later I met Martha, she had come by my van one evening as I was finishing my soup for dinner. She looked about late 30’s, kinda pretty, and was curious as to what I was doing, so I showed her. However, she spoke very little English, yet she was friendly. She indicated she was heading home so I offered her a ride, and she accepted. When we got to her place which was right off the street and there was a cross on her front door. The she invited me in to her small one-room apartment. We talked for a bit and then she sat in a chair and complained that her feet hurt. I asked to see the problem, so she took off one of her tennis shoes. She pointed to her heal and it was raw and very dark, almost black. I told her to wait a minute as I when to my van to get some lotions. When I came back, I sat down in front of her and took off her other shoe. What I saw shocked me; that foot had large white patches and the little toe looked almost eaten away. She either had a bad case of psoriasis or leprosy. As she watched, I prayed and lotioned both of her feet completely. She was very moved by my compassion. When I was through, she said she would like to meet again.

A couple days later she came by my van again with her brother who had a food cart that he peddled around town to serve hot soup to customers. I asked her if she wanted another ride home, and she accepted again. However, before we got to her place, she said she was hungry, but had no money. So I bought her a tub of stew that a friend house that sold for 40 pesos. When we got to her place she put the food in an empty refrigerator. Then explained that her brother lived with her also, but he slept on the floor near the kitchen that was at one end of the room. Then she showed me proudly, that there was also bathroom out the backdoor and down a hall for others to use who also lived in this small complex. Then she showed me some of her religious books (Mormon) and a new testament. There was also a large print on the wall of the Pope kissing the hand of St. Mary that I had seen in other parts of town. After we talked for a bit, she asked if we could meet the next day at 10, which was Sunday. I said, sure and then gave her a quick hug, told her God loved her and then I left. 

The next day, when I got to her place, I prayed for wisdom, courage and grace. When Martha opened the door, she was all dressed up and there was also another woman with her. I thought maybe we were going to her church and so all three of us got in my van and left. However, where we ended up at was not a church, but the local super market. Okay God, you brought her to me, so now what. 

As we walked through the market she would pick-up different items and then asked if it was okay. I nodded and then she put it in the cart (There was bread, meats, slice cheese, vegetables, soap, cleaner, lotion, coke and more.) When she was through, we went to the check-out lane, I pretend to not know what she wanted and motioned for her to pay, but she shook her head, no. The total was about 270 pesos, not bad for about a week of groceries. Then she wanted some cigarettes, but I said no. The other friend also wanted some money, so I gave her all my change, but she wanted more, but I said, sorry no. She was upset and left us. She could not understand why I wouldn’t help her also. 

When we got back to Martha's apartment she started to fix us a meal to show her appreciation, but then she noticed they had no drinking water. That was another 15 pesos, however, I told her I was a friend not a bank; she laughed. After we ate our meal, a man came to the door and wanted the next month rent, 300 pesos. She look at me and I said, “No, me amigo not banko. So she got her brother and told him about the rent and he was able to come up with a 100 pesos. When the man and her brother left, she closed the door and locked it. Then she came very close to me and asked me again to pay the balance, and I still said no. Then she pleaded for me to loan her the 200 until the tomorrow, but I still said no. Then she finally offered me sex in exchange for the 200 pesos. But again I said, no sex, me friend and no more money for now, However, she replied, “But a friend would.” My answer was still no. So she asked me to leave, and I did.

Things don’t always go the way I expect, but then Martha will never forget the man who lotioned her feet and bought her groceries. And someday I still hope to see her in heaven. God's love is still available for her, and all his lost children.