December 2, 2013

Giving Thanks



Another Sunday afternoon with the Lopez family and friends. I got to cut up a lot of fish.


Last Thursday, Thanksgiving Day was celebrated in the United States by most everyone, but in Mexico they don’t celebrate that Day. Yet there were some Americans and even some Mexican that celebrated that day. Every believer should be grateful for the abundant blessings of God, and that is one of the reasons why God established the Festival of First Fruits and Tabernacles.

Anyway, I had wanted to do something nice for a poor family of four in San Carlos. So after I left the Children Mission last Thursday, I stopped by a Wal-Mart on the way back to my house, and bought some groceries to drop off at their home, which happens to be an old 30’ travel trailer. But when I got there no one was home so I went to another house, but they were not home either. So I went home a little disappointed and ate my meal alone with God which I enjoyed. However after I ate, I still felt I was to go back and try again, so I did. When I got about a mile from their trailer I saw my friends walking home with their two young daughters carrying some groceries, (they have no car) so I stopped and gave them a ride home and the food I purchased for them. They were very grateful and thanked me and then I left. Again God’s timing was perfect and I was grateful too.

While I was thinking about thankfulness, I also wanted to take the time to thank you, my friends and blog readers for your faithfulness. I know reading my articles are not like reading about the lives of men like John Crowder, Todd Bentley or David Hogan. But then God is not through with me yet.

Can you imagine what it would have been like to read a weekly scroll by the prophet Elijah during his first three years of ministry. First, he starts off by making a very bold proclamation to King Ahab; declaring there will be no dew or rain on the land until he says so. But then Elijah goes off on a field trip to the mountains alone, and he is fed by ravens and drinks from a stream until it goes dry. Not much excitement there, unless you are into bird watching, or ecology or maybe you just want to lose your appetite. Then the Lord sends Elijah to a widow’s home where he learns how to eat the same food prepared 99 different ways. (I’m sure most Americans eat much better than he did, including me.) True there were a couple miracles, but otherwise, talk about some boring reading for the “intellects” of today. Yet, something else happen during that same time — something much more important, but still difficult to explain or write about. I believe, Elijah got to know the Father’s heart more intimately. I think you understand what I’m driving at. One night, God told Sheldon and me, “Do not despise small beginnings.” And so again, I want to thank you for your faithfulness while I got to know Abba Father a little better, and hopefully you have too.
“In all things give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.”