December 16, 2013

The Joy of Giving



 Remember the Poor

This past year I have gotten to experience the real joy of giving. As a disciple of Christ I have always enjoyed giving and helping other people, but since coming to Mexico God has taken it to another level. My giving has become a way of life. I give in many different ways, such as food, time, prayer and money—mostly money; even though I don’t have much compared to many Americans. I’m not writing this to brag in any way, but to share the transforming power of the grace and love of God that has taken place in my life over the years. Now that I am in Mexico I am seeing God’s love flow through me in such a way that I’m even surprised by some of my own actions. It does not matter whether they are young or old—I want to help; wishing I could still do more, but that will happen and on a much larger and more powerful scale. I find myself caring less for my own personal needs when I see others who have so much less. 

Living in San Carlos, I have also seen many North Americans and how they live, who have so much more; I don’t envy them anymore. I love the poor in Mexico and I am praying that the wealthy people will someday have a change of heart. For it’s still easier for a camel to go through an eye of a nettle, than for a rich man today to enter the Kingdom of Heaven. I think very few people really believe that Jesus meant that or that maybe it doesn’t apply for today. Many people also don’t think they are rich. But the Bible says, “If you see your brother without a coat and you have two coats; give him one of yours and the same with your food.” Wow! That puts a whole new perspective on being rich doesn’t it?
  
In wealthy parts of the world, people often compare themselves with others who have much more. And end-up striving for many things that are so meaningless, as King Solomon said, “Vanity, vanity, all is vanity.”  


Often at this time of year and even other holidays, there is much celebration and self-indulgence; people purchasing things, including an abundance of food, then stuffing themselves along with their family and friends who are not in need or starving. Yet, little effort or thought is giving to helping the poor. Sure they may put in a few coins or dollars in a Salvation Army bucket or some other charity or in an offering plate for the needy, but the amount is so small in comparison to what they have or will spend this Christmas. And yet they will feel proud, because they have done their “good deed.” I wonder what it would take for people to switch those percentages around in giving this year or even the next, if that is where their heart is. 

True giving is not to be a “seasonal things,” but part of the joyful life style of those who follow Christ. Do we really care and desire to please God? Ask the Lord where He wants you to give, what to give, and how much. Then do it; be His hands extended, and do it again until you feel His joy welling up within you and flowing out onto others. Look for the opportunities God brings your way and then do something about it. Let your love, be the answer to someone’s prayer. Don’t leave it for someone else to do. You will never regret it. If you do, then maybe your heart is not in the right place. Jesus said, ”Where your treasure is there your heart will be also.” 

The reason I talking like this, is I would like to encourage you to not wait as long as I did to find the real Joy of giving. Jesus also said, “It is more blessed to give than to receive.” So why wait until you’re older or have more money. Share from what you already have now and experience the blessings today. God wants us to help the poor, and that is the example Jesus set throughout His ministry, and Heavenly Father still met all His needs, including His disciples. The apostles also encouraged all new converts to ”Remember the poor.” 


If you want to see miracles, then be a miracle.

Give and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”

“It is easy to love the lovely; God’s love is best demonstrated to the unlovely and the ungodly.”

“To only pity a brother in need is not love;
To HELP a brother in need is love."

"Love is hungry, so it feeds the hunger-poor.”—Sheldon David

Jesus said, “When you give a dinner or luncheon, do not ask your friends, your brothers, your relatives, nor your rich neighbors, lest they also invite you back, and you be repaid. But when you give a feast, invite the poor, the maimed, the lame, the blind. And you will be blessed, because they cannot repay you; for you shall be repaid at the resurrection of the just." Luke 14:12-14.

Wow! Wouldn’t it be something if Christians just did this once a year? Some theologians say this passage of scripture must be applied within its contexts. That Jesus was speaking to a Pharisee and that His words applied only to him and not others. However, I disagree, because the Spirit of Jesus’ words also apply to those who think and act like Pharisees; and unfortunately many Christians still do. I also consider this passage as “the lost commandment,” because I have never heard any minister preach on this passage, nor can I think of anyone I know personally who has done it. I wonder why? Maybe there are those who have, I sure hope so. I know there are people like Mother Teresa, and soup lines ministries for the poor and hungry, but I believe we can do better. Let’s pray that God opens our eyes to the Joy of giving, so that we can make these words of Jesus become a reality. Remember, that is how we were first invited to come to the Father’s feasts. He reached out to us when we were lost, poor, blind, and crippled, and then fed us; allowing us to sit with Him and feast at His table along with Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. Amen! 


“Ministry toward Christ’s Body happens one selfless act at a time.

God see every selfless act of love—and takes notes!”—Sheldon David