May 13, 2014

A New Home



Two of  the children were still in the house in the upper right hand corner.

A couple months ago I told you about some money I gave to help a poor family as part of a Mormon's house building program, that was wanting to build a new home for this family. They lived in a 12’x12’ shack with a dirt floor, and had seven children. The man had a regular job as a brick mason, but could not afford to improve his living quarters. So the Mormon church, Church of the Latter Day Saints as Palir says they prefer to be call, offered to buy the materials and provide labors to do some of the work, but the man also had to help in the construction in his spare time. This program and other humanitarian outreach programs has helped make the Mormon religion one of the fastest growing in the world. Unfortunately, most of the emphasis is on the natural rather than the spiritual. But that is about to change as people realize a greater need to satisfy the longing of their soul. On the money I gave them I made a declaration to see that happen for this family and for all religions.

A few week later, Pilar asked me if I want to go see that family and the progress that was done so far. When we got to Guaymas, we past a number of very nice tract homes at the beginning of one of the developments, but as we drove further back in, the quality changed. The lots got smaller and there was no running water or power to the land, just dirt roads that divided sections of land to be built on and not many homes were there. The water and power would come later when more homes were built. Residents and owners had to use generators if they wanted power and storage tanks for water that had to be trucked in.

When we got to their home-site, the family was there and greeted us. Palir explained who I was and that I had help them with some money. They were all very kind and friendly, but spoke no English. The husband had already built one wall and they were proud of the progress made so far and very happy for all the help they would still be getting. Palir talked more with them and I listened and took pictures. Before we left, I hugged and bless them all and gave they more money. Whenever possible, I enjoy the personal touch when reaching out to help others.

Then last week I saw another miracle. I had gone out to get a hot dog at the restaurant that gives me free meals, and when I got there they had live music. I was hesitant to join, but when they saw me they motioned for me to come. There were over twenty people, and many of them I had met before. It turned out to be a birthday party for one of their friends. While I was there, I got to see Ana's father again who is 90 years old and was sitting in a chair. He had a bad leg that I had prayed for the last time we met. He gave me a very big hug as I bent over to greeted him. Ana (she owns the restaurant) told me that his leg was much better, but that it still hurt some. I noticed he still had his walking cane next to him. So I put my hand on his leg and prayed for complete restoration. He thanked me again and then I went and greeted a few more friends; before I sat at the counter to get a hot dog. They also gave me a slice of cake and a bottle of Sprite to drink. As I ate, I watched the people dancing to the music playing. Only a few minutes had past before the old man got up and started dancing with two young ladies that he had been talking to. I was amazed how long he danced. He finally sat down, because he was getting tired, but after a brief rest he was up and dancing again with the same two ladies. I was very grateful to see God's grace working in people's lives no matter how old they were. Then another men dragged me out into the dance area and encouraged me to dance with the others. And so I danced to the music for a little while, but when you haven't done this in a long time, I felt a little awkward, so I sat back down. Anyway it was an awesome night and I rejoiced as I walked back home. I also felt very blessed to have such friends as these. God answers prayer and things are getting better everyday... and someday we will all have a new and glorious home to live in.