December 2, 2014

Thanks/Giving

Most American celebrated Thanksgiving Day last week, but over the years it has lost much of its meaning and become a just another holiday that jump-start people into a month of self-indulges capped off with two bigger holidays. But this article is not about those holidays. In Mexico they don’t celebrate Thanksgiving, and I've learned that finding a turkey in the grocery store is almost impossible until the week before Christmas, for only a week.

Being in Mexico, the Lord has helped me put a whole new perspective on things, and Thanks/giving has become a way of life to me. When I left the United States I left a lot of material things behind that I learned I didn’t need or at least I could live without them. They were not necessary to find true peace and happiness that we all need, nor are they required to fulfill God's will for our life and touch those around us. I have learned to give thanks everyday and be content, but there are still time the enemy tries to disrupt my life and journey with my Heavenly Father. But the enemy can’t succeed, for my life is sealed the blood-covenant of Jesus Christ. And for that I'm very thankful. In fact I’m here to disrupt the enemy’s plans. The best way for me is to declare God's word and heart and stand fast on it. Another way is by giving thanks and loving people and giving food and/or money to those around me. God has a powerful way of multiplying all that into ways beyond human understanding.

One day couple months ago, I had asked God what next six months for me would be like. He indicated that more people would come into my life, that more people would feed me and there would be some other surprises; that all sounded great to me.

It was just about that same time I met Violet, she was coming toward me on one of my morning walks, and she had a big smile on her face and greeted me. She had seen me before and wanted to get to know me, and she could speak English. She was about my age, her parents were from Spain, but she was born in Guaymas, Mexico and was one of triplet girls, the first triplets to be borne by natural birth in that city. Violet lives in San Carlos now, been divorced two years, very friendly and out-going, and has four married sons, and now works at the art gallery for Palir, even though she doesn’t need money. Over the past two months, I have shared Christ’s love for her and Mexico, plus on Tuesdays we watch one of my DVD movies, including faith-based and the Passion. She has invited me to eat dinner every Sunday at her house. She likes to cook and eat healthy food, because she is diabetic. I told her God would heal that problem. I have enjoyed her cooking and having a friend I can talk with. She really likes me, but I let her know, up front, that we can only be friends, nothing more. During this time I have also met one of the sisters, friends and a few family members. They all liked me, know that I'm married and on a mission for God. Some of them have given me food too. Ten days ago her sister, Martha, left for Mexico City for a few months, but before she left, wanted to have me come to her house with Violet for a meal. After the meal, she gave me all the left-overs from the chicken dinner, plus food that was still in her cabinets and refrigerator.
 


A birthday party with Violet's beautiful family (Violet in the center)

Then last Thursday was not only thanksgiving in the U.S., but it was also Violet’s birthday. She invited me to celebrate it with her, friends and all her family at one of her son’s house in a small city, about twenty miles away. I went with Palir and her husband, who were also invited. I had no gift to give and Violet is well-off as far as personal wealth. I asked God what to bring, He said, "just being there will be the best gift you can give." Okay.


We arrived at the house about 7pm and got to meet her son and his family. They continued preparing food in a large kitchen, while we sat in the living room with some other friends who could speak English. There was American music playing; oldies from the 70’s. Other family members arrive a little later with more food and we were introduced to them. All Violet’s sons can speak English, but only three were there that night, and their wives could not speak English, and their children only a little.

Some crab pastries and pecan nuts were past-out along with coke or water to drink, while the table was set and final preparations for dinner were made.

A bad hurricane hit this area of Mexico, a five years ago, and their house was flooded with 3' of water.

When the food came out I could hardly believe what I saw. Each of our big plates was already served with two kinds of shrimps dishes, a large slice of ham with pineapple in a spicy red sauce, along with mash potatoes, a fresh green salad with sprouts, plus a Waldorf salad. One of the daughter-n-laws used to cater to wedding and it showed that night.
 
This was one of the best looking and tasting meals I have ever eaten, and I was served seconds. Plus, there was sushi with different dips and fresh french rolls. And for desert, a three layer cream cheese carrot/fruit cake. I was asked to give the blessing on our meal, and I gratefully did. What a blessing this night was.


Palir's husband, Burt. is sitting to the left of the picture. He did bronze sculptures and is an American.

During the meal, I was asked if I wanted to watch the Seattle Seahawk game, on the big screen TV, while we ate, I said, “No thank you, being with you was better than any football game.” I was stuff and blessed by these beautiful people that God allowed me to be with, and to touch their lives in this special way, God was there too. After our fabulous dinner, Violet was about to open her presents that others had brought. I leaned over and told her I didn’t have a present for her. She said, that my being there the best gift I could give, and all the other stuff wouldn’t mean as much as that. Wow, I would like to believe it's because she know who lives inside me; if not she will be very disappointed, because nothing, including Violet will keep me from fulfilling my mission, which I have already told her.


I will never forget that night. Before we left, I made a point to thank and bless each of them and their children, and to tell them that God has a wonderful future in store for them and all of Mexico.

I am truly thankful for the privilege of serving and giving my life for the children of God, but most of all I’m thankful for the Father's love and most precious Gift, Jesus Christ.


Before the night was over I sat down and played catch with this cute little girl.
She really enjoyed that and so did my Heavenly Father.