August 25, 2009

Patience Takes Time


When I was an artist, doing paintings like the one you see at the head of this Blog, I also taught art classes. Sometimes I would teach between five to fifteen students for two eight hour sessions. People wanted to learn to paint like me. As they painted I would demonstrate at my easel and then go around and help each person individually. Often a student would be frustrated, but they trusted me to help them. And as they watched me fix their painting, they would often say, "You make it look so easy; why can't I do that? I would reply, "It takes time, practice, perseverance, and patience. You won't improve, unless you work at it regularly; it doesn't just happen."


The same goes for most things in life, including writing. I make many mistakes. I don't always see them or recognize that there are grammar errors, until someone edits them. And sometimes when I'm shown the mistakes, I feel stupid (yes, even adults feel this way); adults often think we should know better. When pride gets in the way we often wonder why we should even keep trying. Sometimes we say, "I'll never learn." But, when we choose to humble ourselves and listen to the one helping or teaching, we can learn if we make the effort and keep trying.

Another unique benefit to my teaching of others, is that God has used it to help me become a better artist. I believe this principle also applies to writing and the rest of my life. I'm not giving up just because I make a few mistakes, or because things get difficult, or just because I don't like the problems I might be facing. I will continue to trust God because He knows how to help me, and what is best for me.

In the past, people often looked up to me or admired me as an artist. Now I prefer that people would just look to Jesus, and maybe I can be of help to them along the way. In my spiritual walk of life, it has taken much practice, patience, perseverance and prayer (lots of prayer!). I believe this is true of us all.

We are all the students of Christ; He is the Great Teacher and Master Artist. This reveals itself when we see an adorable baby, a beautiful person, or an incredible sunset. (You know what I mean.) We are all part of God's creation, and it is His desire to instruct us, help us, and mold us into His image and become a part of the beautiful Body and Bride of Christ. That is, if we let Him.