August 2, 2012

A Sacrifice of Time

I have been very busy this last month as you have noticed by my lack of weekly articles. I got my wife all settled in and I'm working on getting our house finished and some repairs done, before I leave. Plus, helping get our new renter get settle into our mobile home that's next to our house that also needed some repairs. Plus a number of other issues that always seem to come up unexpectedly. Everyone want me for something or other, but it all adds up to more of my time, even though I'm glad to help.  I will be leaving in just ten days for my trip so we went to see my parent for just one day. It was probably the last time I saw my dad. So I told him before I left that I loved him and that I would see him again on the other side. God has also helped me everyday with strength, remembering things that need to be done and where I put things I have misplaced. Sometimes I just want to leave it all right now, my body is tired and often aches, but God encourages me to stay the course and that He is with me all the way, even when I'm tired and feel alone.

With all the work and other things that needed to be done, it has been hard to fine time for God. But God had a way of dealing with that. He just wakes me up early in the morning even if I only had five or six hours of sleep so we can spend time together and I'm enjoying it too. During the day I take a break and thank Him and sometimes even get a short nap. I also started to read a daily devotional book that was given to my wife. I usually don't read them, because they become a crutch that many consider as sufficient time spent with God. Like reading a Promise Card for each day.  However, this book is the best devotional I have ever read. It's called, Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young. She has a power short message, spoken from the heart of Jesus, our heavenly Father, for each day of the year. Here is a sample for today, August 2, that I thought was appropriate.

"Bring Me the sacrifice of your time: a most precious commodity. In this action-addicted world, few of My children take time to sit quietly in My presence. But for those who do, blessings flow like streams of living water. I, the One from whom all blessings flow, am also blessed by our time together. This is a deep mystery; do not try to fathom it. Instead, glorify Me by delighting in Me. Enjoy Me now and forever!" And then she gives several scripture references that go with each topic: Today's is Psalm 21:6; John 7:38; Psalm 103:11

I have enjoyed the little book so much that I was going to get one, but my wife said she would give me her's and just order another one for herself. I would recommend this devotional for everyone, to help build that relationship we all need with our heavenly Father.