October 6, 2012

Welcome to Mexico

This is San Carlos

 What a difference a day makes. The first day trying to get across the border was a hassle to say the least, but most of it was my own fault. At 9AM I crossed the border, only to be turned around, because my registration on the van didn’t match my new name. So I had to call my wife and have her fax me more legal documents of the changes. Then I had to pay higher fees, plus a deposit on the van of $300 which was something new, but the deposit would be returned when I left Mexico, However, that didn’t leave me much money for now to help the poor. Then the clerk nearly double the price for the immigration permit fee and didn’t give me a receipt. I thanked her anyway. I was just glad to finally get out of there. Then I asked God to forgive her and I did too.

The drive south was now after 3pm and it was hot. But the scenery was beautiful, much greener than I had expected. I got to Hermosillo at night and it was 99 degrees at 8pm. I emailed my wife from a McDonalds, but it’s not as easy as in the McDonalds in the States. Then I found a place on the side of the road just out of town to sleep, but six different police cars stopped and checked on me, after sixth times and at 1:30am, I decided to move to another area. When I woke up I notice the sun was not coming up in the direction I had expected. Turn outs that when I asked for help it took me in the wrong area from where I had wanted. So another change of plans and then I headed to Guaymas where I was told more people speak English. Wrong! I even went to a Wall Mart, but no one even spoke English there. However, their prices were still cheap and you know they won't take advantage of you. I also got my money exchanged, but not every bank will do that, as I found out.

Then I headed to San Carlos to find the poor who spoke English. I kept looking and looking, but all I saw were resorts and nice stucco homes, until I came to the end of the paved road with a sign that said, La Manga (means The Octopus), but it wasn’t even on the map I had. So I check it out. It was a run down little village, but about maybe a hundred people still lived there. I stop and asked if anyone spoke English. No one did except for a sister of a man I tried to talk to. But, for some reason he called her on the phone and we talked and she asked me to meet he at her job so I could explain my intentions better in person.
Juan, his wife and his niece. He is a fisherman.
 Her brother Juan, got in my van to take me there, in exchange for some food for his family. It turn out she worked at a little cantina next to a resort, but still off the same dirt road. Okay, this is going to be interesting. Delia came and greeted me. She was in her late twenties, single mom with a young daughter that her parent helped take care of whenever she worked. We talked for a little bite, and I explained that I need her help to translate what God has put on my heart and I would like to stay in the community as long as she and they felt comfortable with me being there. However, she worked long hours, but would have the next day off. I told her I would eat my own food and sleep in the van. I was there only to bless and help them. She agreed. Then Juan and I drove back to his home and I walked the beautiful shores of the Pacific. However, it was still hot and now it was humid and muggy.
Dalia's daughter
 Later that afternoon, Juan wife, Menuela fixed a supper in which I was invited to join them. They lived a simple life and it was all about family. They all lived in run-down houses; next door and across the dirt road from each other for years and yet they have no paperwork showing proof of ownership. This was a small beginning and it was a perfect way to start.

The view of La Manga shoreline
When Dalia came home from work, we talked a little more. I told her I knew how she must feel sometimes; like wanting to run away, but not knowing where to go or even how. I’m kind of in the same way at times, if I were to let my emotions get the best of me. But I told her God loves her very much and want to bless her and her family, and for taking me in the way they have.  And even her community if they would like me to stay longer. After our talk, she spoke to her brother and then he took me over to the side of the next door neighbor’s house and said, that I could park my van there in an open area that overlook the Pacific Ocean less than a hundred feet away. I thanked him and moved my van.  As I laid there on my bed that night, I wondered if this is where I was to stay, after all, the power of a prophet is in his God and the words he is to speak. I could do more for Mexico from this little spot on the coast than if I travel to every corner of the country and speak to thousands of people, if that were God’s will. After all I have Jesus Christ, who is always with me; so what more do I need?  And when it time to move on, He will let me know. Now, if I can only learn to deal with the flies, the heat and the humidity.
The view of San Carlos shoreline just the other direction
Again I was invited to eat supper with them at about 3pm. I ate and drank everything before me, including a fresh salad, and even clams in the half shell, which I never had before. The clam was very good with the hot sauce and fresh squeezed limejuice on it. We all shared a liter of Coke at the meal with ice. The ice is brought in large blocks from Quaymas in an old pick-up truck and then broken with an ax to put in their ice chest which is nothing more than a regenerators turn on there backs on the ground. And for cooking they have a three-gallon propane bottle to fuel the four-burner unit just above it.

The beautiful children go the school every day and often run around barefoot afterwards, along with the chicken and the skinny dogs. One of the dog, a black lad, even want me to play fetch with him, and so I got a stick and tossed it in the ocean many times which he greatly enjoyed as did my Father watching.
Manuela, she works very hard. Men don't often help the women with chores even when not worfing

I also was introduced to a man, that when I was told he was blind, because of cataracts in both eyes, I immediately stood up and laid my hands on his eyes and declared restorations.

I also believe that I will be here longer than I expected, maybe 30-40 days. But God has promise me that he will honor all my words and actions. This may be my wilderness or mountain top experience, I’m not sure yet. After that who knows what will happen or where I will go. But as I looked up and saw the same stars again that Abraham saw, I was reminded of the Promise that was given to me. I will bless you.

Satan would like me to think I’ve been a fool. I prayed for a blind man and for the fishermen to have a good day, but nothing happens, except for a few fish which we ate the afternoon at supper. But, God says, I’m no fool and things will change just trust Him. 
The little town of La Manga