October 13, 2012

Where The Pavement Ends a New Life Begins


The Hand of God is over La Manga
I watch the men launch off to fish this morning in two of the family boats. One of the boats had an air compressor for diving to get clams, lobsters and octopus. Then I went to the super store twenty miles away to get some new plastic lawn chairs for Juan’s family. They were what his family used to sit on, and they were very old, warn and broken. And the one they offered me was a metal chair, but the seat was not even attached, but it was still considered a chair for guest.

After getting the new chairs with arms, I had stopped at McDonalds to get on the Internet, but decided that God had somewhere else better for me. So by faith I stopped at one of the last resorts/hotel closest to La Manga. I explained to them what I was doing and asked for their help to post my articles and check my email once a week, and they graciously agreed. Now I had a very nice and cool place to work, looking out at the pool and ocean. God is so good!
The Playa Blanca, beach front condominiums and hotel
When I got back to Juan’s house I showed his wife the new chairs and she was very delighted and grateful. She then made me a ham and egg breakfast, because the others had already eaten while I was gone.  

That afternoon I took my first swim in the ocean to rinse the sweet off from the heat of the day. It felt so good, even though it was almost like bath water. Once in a while there might be a cooler spot in the water. Made me wonder why I had not done this sooner. I also had a great time just talking to God out in the water and thanking Him for giving me a heart for the poor.

After my swim, the men came back from their fishing trip. Juan asked for a couple small piece of lobster and the rest were put in cold storage to be sold at the market later. Before I knew what was happening Manuela had cooked the lobster and prepared them for me to eat with fresh squeezed limejuice. I was the only one to sit and eat them, I was being honored and I was very grateful. Then later I was offered a shower, which consisted of some water in a five-gallon bucket and a semi private area with no door. However, I still had my swimsuit on, so I poured the water over my head and rinsed the salt off my body and swimsuit. This also felt very good. Then I shared with Juan and his wife the photos of my trip on my laptop. They enjoyed that very much, especially when they saw their own family and town.

During the day, I watch the people and help whenever I can, and gave Hershey’s chocolate kisses to the little kids, but one kept coming back for more. Manuela never seems to stop working, it’s either sweeping, cleaning, cooking and washing dishes or clothes. Then she spreads the used water on the ground to keep the dust down and for cooling by evaporation. The men don’t help much with “women’s work.” When they’re not fishing, they are usually working on old motors, or repairing other broken things, or just talking to other men.
Men and boys cleaning fish from the nights catch



Juan’s family believes in God, as do most of the people here, and they have a picture of the Last Supper on the wall and a few other religious items hanging, but they don’t really know Him. And how much He really loves them or the awesome plans He has prepared for them. There is a small new Catholic Church, but no one goes there on Sunday. However, it’s open if someone wants to go in and pray, but there is no minister or priest who comes there. It just sits empty with a statue of Mary near the back wall and some candles to light around the base of it. One day when I was reading my Bible, Manuel was watching and I asked if He had a Spanish Bible and He said, “Yes.” But he doesn’t read it much.

I have asked God to reveal Himself to these people in such a way that it will change their life forever. After all, we are all saved by His love, grace and mercy. I could speak in perfect Spanish and not make any headway without the power and the presence of the Holy Spirit. I know that God will answer my prayers, because He has told me that He would honor my words.
Antonio busy at work cleaning fish
I have met many wonderful people, but unfortunitly I am not able to remember all their names. There is one in particular who I enjoy watching. His name is Antonio, he is very friendly, jolly and kind, man with a big heart, and I like him very much. I believe God has something very special planned for him.
Delia
However, my heart goes out the most for Delia, she works hard and long hours to help her family. She is also taking some night schooling in hopes of improving her future. But more important, I’m trusting God to show her how to rest at Jesus' feet, and that He will meet all her real needs. No one in her family drinks or smokes and they are very loving and respectful toward each another, yet they still need to know the One who really loves them. They are just as helpless without Him, as so many Americans are; money and possessions will never satisfy the true longing of their soul.  Neither are these beautiful people any harder to reach with the Gospel, if we'll just show them God’s love.

While I was out in the ocean, God reminded me that we are the Light of the world. And we are to let that light shine before others in such a way that they will see our deeds and praise God. It’s His job to do what’s necessary to change their heart, not me. I’m asking God for the River of Life to flow through this community, because this one woman, Delia, welcomed a stranger into her community with a message of God’s love and freedom.

This afternoon I asked Manuel and a friend to go out and play in the ocean with me and we all had fun. I pray that every generation here will be taken deeper into the ocean of the Father’s love. The children also walk with me on the beach, and others sometimes come and swim with me when I do.

Last night I sat around the store front, that Juan’s mother runs, there were about a dozen men, young and old and they talked and treated me as a friend even though I was an old American man who spoke very little Spanish. However, when I am introduced, I now go by the name of David (pronounced Dee-vid in Spanish), because my first name didn’t make sense to them. Juan also told me, there are about a hundred people in this little town, of which fifteen of them are from his family line. And they live in seven of the homes there.

After the men got back from fishing today, Antonio gave me five fresh clams, which I then gave to Manuela for all of us eat. Juan asked me to go fishing with him tonight. However, it’s been a long time since I’ve been in a boat and I thought it best for me to stay on dry land, I’m not ready to stretch my adventure that far yet, but I was grateful for the offer just the same.

Day Seven,

Early this morning the men got back from night fishing, and it went every well them. At sunrise about seven men, including two teenagers helped clean the fish. And they all share in the profit. Juan’s father pays the men and they pay the helpers and then the fish our then put in big ice boxes until they are taken to market. Again I was given lobster, but this time I asked Juan and his wife to have them, and they did at their breakfast about 10am. I had also give Manuela a large can of pears and they had them with their breakfast and I had some also. Every meal is served with beans and tortillas, regardless of the main dish. The tortillas are used as forks to scoop and eat with.

Everyday, I try to give something to someone, food, treats or my time and help. I want to pour out myself to these people, just as Jesus Christ did when he was here on earth. When Manuela went to open the can of pears, she started to use a knife, so I when and got my can opener and opened it. Now I know something else I can get her. It was a good morning and Juan and I thanked God for His generous blessing of fish. Everyday is a new adventure with God and His children, and I’m enjoying it every much.
Juan's father is wearing his everyday hat

Last night at the little store, which is a common gathering place, I met a rich man who owns several houses in the San Carlos and La Manga. He could speak some English, and after he learned why I was in Mexico he offered me a room and a bed in one of his nice homes, instead of being with the poor and we could talk more. I thanked him, but I wanted to stay where God wants me to be. How do you help some and not others is a challenge for me. There are many needs here and I just have to trust God in His infinite power to meet all there need, both physical and spiritual. The rich man was a very kind and we will probably meet again.

Today Manual stayed home from school with a sore throat and a fever. I laid hands on him, rebuked the fever and the enemy. That evening he was feeling much better and playing with the other kids. 
God's promise for a little town
I would like to share this quote from a little book. “Trust Me enough to let things happen without striving to predict or control them. Relax, and refresh yourself in the Light of My everlasting Love. My Love-light never dims, yet you are often unaware of My radiant Presence. When you project yourself into the future, rehearing what you will go or say, you are seeking to be self-sufficient: to be adequate without My help.  This is a subtle sin—so common that it usually slips by unnoticed.” (Jesus Calling, by Sarah Young)

Those words for September 10th are what I have been reminding myself each day since I’ve been here in La Manga. My plan is just to stay in the God’s presence, love His people and let Him do what He wants when the time is right. And then the people will come to know the awesome power and love of the Heavenly Father.  
A new day and a new beginning for the town of La Manga