January 10, 2011

Pride

How do I begin this? Where do I begin? I'm 63 years old and I've known Jesus and the Father to a small degree many of those years. During that time I have seen God do many miracles, heard Him speak, and seen Him face to face. I've also seen God work on the areas of pride in my life over the years. In fact more times than I care to remember or admit. I have also wondered, if it's ever really possible to get rid of it all? Only God knows. I'm believing there is at some point. I'm not perfect, nor do I think I have all the answers, but I know who does.

When I came back to the Lord at 40 years old, God took some bid chunks of pride out of my life, because of many foolish mistakes I had made. Then years later God lead me away from the religious system, and I had to die to how people would think or feel about me. But, what mattered most to me was being faithful and obedient to the Truth. I also know I have done nothing to deserve what God has done for me. 

In the past few years, I have gotten to know the Heavenly Father a little better, and I'm also learning to abide and lean on Him more. I enjoy being able to sharing some of those experiences with others, along with my blog readers and followers. I love to brag about how awesome our God really is. He is so powerful, loving, gracious and forgiving. He also has many wonderful gifts and surprises in store for all us. Yet, even with a little bit spiritual or revelation knowledge there is also the danger of pride. 

There are two kinds of pride—carnal and spiritual pride. Satan is the father to both. The most serious is spiritual pride. Remember the parable Jesus told about the Pharisee and the publican, who went to pray? One viewed himself as being better than the other.

Sometimes I feel like I'm trying to do a balancing act on a high wire, with God's rod in my hands to help keep my balance and to keep me from falling. In sharing the truth, there is always the danger of trying to justify, prove something or impress others with what you learned or heard from God. I do not want to do that, or be that way. I simply want to speak the truth, share what God has been saying, encourage others, and tell how God changed my life. And in so doing, hopefully I can and will help others too.

However, sometimes I see the spirit of pride trying to raise it's ugly head and I have to deal with it. It happened again this past week when I went to minister to some homeless people. I wasn't with the homeless, but with one of the ministers at the facility for free meals. Another time I wanted to impress someone, and at the same time expose some of their faults, but I didn't—thank God. I also had a dream and in this dream I saw how subtle this 'spirit of pride' can be and even seem justified. 

There are many things I could say to justify my thoughts or even my actions, but it would still boils down to spiritual pride and so I had to cast it away from me, even if it was just a thought. We must not dwell on those kind of thoughts less they take root in our mind.

There is no room for pride in the Kingdom of God. Everything we have is a gift from God, and there is nothing we can do to earn them. Were are all part of the same body, and share the same faith, hope and vision. No ones is better than another, and we all depend on God strength, and the help and support of each others. So why brag or think as if the gift is something we've earned or deserved. I'm just God messenger boy, a mouth, His hands, or His eyes to see. And what I am, is by the grace of God alone.

God doesn't view things the way man does and statistic don't impress Him—neither do large homes, big churches, great ministries or successful businesses. Faithfulness is what God is looking for, not large numbers or worldly recognition even within the religious system.

Neither do we gain anything by pointing out the faults of others or trying impressing people with our good deeds or spiritual knowledge, whether we personally know them or not.  I don't seek the praise of men, but God's. But sometime my flesh want it, and I can't allow it that satisfaction. My only gain is in knowing Jesus Christ and Him crucified. My greatest joy comes from knowing that God loves me, and loving Him in return. Also in serving His people and speaking words of faith into the future. And so I die daily, that the Lord may be exalted, for He alone is worthy of our praise. When I look back over my life and all of my mistakes, I'm truly thankful for the grace of God. Therefore, I hope to extend the same to others as He did for me. I believe I will by His power and grace.

Note: When the right season and day comes, God will exalt each of His sons and daughters. It may not even be in our lifetime. It doesn't matter how well known we are here, if you're not known in heaven by God, angles and our spiritual forefathers. "But, seek first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all this things will be added unto you."

Most men and women of God, in the past, became more known after they died, because they willingly laid down their lives in humility for the sake of others. Just as Jesus did, and in doing so, He was exalted above all other names. They are all honored in the heavens and we should be grateful for their sacrifices and follow their examples.