January 17, 2011

Thanks

Last night I had a dream, and in this dream I was struggling with the word "thanks." Because I was saying thanks to God, and yet it seemed so inadequate to describe or express how I really felt. Especially, regarding all the things He had done.

When I awoke I was still hashing out my frustrations with the word thanks. We use this word, thanks, so causally. For example we often say it when someone opens a door for us, or helps us find something at a store, or says something nice to us. But how do you say thanks to God who has done everything for you and has given you everything. He even restores every mess I've made, and made something good come out of it all. And still, I did nothing to earn or merit it. Thanks, just doesn't seem to be enough.

Its like the English word for "love." There's no distinction when we use it to describe our feelings for a person, places, thing, or even God. We love pizza, our cars, pets, house, job, our country, friends or spouse, and still can say love God in the same breath. Something seems to be wrong with that also. But I don't know how to change it either. Other than to say, that without you Abba Father in my life, life wouldn't be worth living. 



You are so loving, kind, and gentle to me. That You are entitled to ask me to go anywhere, or ask me to do or say anything, and I won't say, "No." You are precious to me and that every breath I take comes from You, and every promises You makes is fulfilled, and I trust You completely.

Abba Father has met my every need, and all my longing for Him is fulfilled. Yet there is this selfish side of me that seem to want more or at times seems to resist, and I don't know why. I guest there are still some doubts and fears that still need to be dwelt with. 



God knows my heart better that I do. He also knows all my thoughts, desires and emotions. He understands my weakness and knows all my failings. Yet He still loves me, and has forgiven me of all my sins forever, and nothing can ever change that. Strange as it may sound, He trusts me as a friend, a son, and we are one.

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can see His face. His smile fills me with a great peace, hope and joy—as together we walk hand in hand in the cool of the day for eternity. When I'm with Him I'm never afraid, and yet at the end of the day, all I can say to Him is "Thanks." Thank you Abba Father for being who you are—you are my life. I am forever grateful and I give You all the glorify.


Note: Andrea Crouch wrote a song many years ago, that got a Grammy Award. It's still one of my favorites songs, called 
My Tribute. The lyrics go like this: 

How can I say thanks for the things
You have done for me?
Things so undeserved yet You gave
To prove Your love for me
The voices of a million angels
Could not express my gratitude
All that I am, and ever hope to be
I owe it all to Thee

To God be the glory, to God be the glory
To God be the glory for the things He has done
With His blood He has saved me
With His power He has raised me
To God be the glory for the things He has done

Just let me live my life and
Let it be pleasing Lord to Thee
And if I gain any praise, let it go to Calvary
With His blood He has saved me
With His power He has rasied me
To God be the glory for the things He has done