September 24, 2009

The Excellence of God's Love


As Christians our "Chapter 13" is when we realize that we are "spiritually bankrupt" and that our only hope comes in our total dependence on God to fill that emptiness in us with His love.

For if I speak with the tongues of men and of angel and have not God's Love, I have become an irritating noise or a bag of wind. If I have the gift of prophecy, and know all the secrets and facts of the universe; and if I have all faith to do mighty works of wonder, but have not the love of God, my gifts, intellect and abilities mean nothing. And if I give all my possessions to the poor, and if I were to give my body as a sacrifice, but do not have God's love, I have gained nothing.

God's love is patient, God's love is kind and is never jealous; His love does not brag and nor is it arrogant, does not behave foolishly; it does not seek self interest, is not provoked or offended, does not keep a record of wrongs suffered, does not rejoice in the sins of others, but rejoices with truthfulness; God's love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures everything. God's love never fails! ( 1 Cor. 13:1-8 my paraphrase )