September 6, 2012

A Little Slice of Heaven


Welcome to Winchester Bay

Last week after I left Florence, Oregon I thought my next stop would be in Coos Bay, Oregon. But, this was an adventure and anything can change in a moment of time. I had given Retta a painting before I left and now I was wondering what I was to do with the rest of them, because I wanted to have more money to give to the poor in Mexico. As I was driving south on the Costal Highway 101, I saw a banner stretched crossing the roadway in a small town saying, “Art Show at Winchester Bay Sept, 1-2.”  That was the next town and it was still early, so I went to check it out and see if I could get in.

It had been nearly ten years since I tried to do an art show, and the sales then were poor, but maybe this time it would be different. The director of the show said there was one space left and the fee was $75. Well, I took a step of faith and accepted the space even though I had no display set-up. I asked if it was okay to use my van, and that was fine with her.

It was a beautiful day, but a little windy and the people weren't buying at least not from me, even though they like my paintings and thought they were beautiful. The prices I was asking were less than half of what I used to get in art galleries, but still higher than what many people were willing to spend here. ($15O to $300) I told God I would thank Him for whatever happens and I would pray for the community and bless it while I was there.

Then later in the day, young women came up and began to really study my work and one painting in particular, a small seascape for $200. Her name was Aireal, I asked her what the name meant, she said, "Lion of God." As we talked about the painting and other things, I began to sense that there was something special about her. I learned she was in the small town for the Labor Day weekend, with friends. She was very kind and sweet and when she left, I blessed her, and she replied, “He already has in many ways.” She didn’t say how, but she did say she would be back the next day.

The show was over for the day, and I had just put my paintings away, when she came back with two lady friends to see my paintings and meet me. She also brought me some pie on a covered paper plate—three slices, one cherry, one apple and one pecan. (She had made and baked them herself.) I thanked her and gave her a hug for her thoughtfulness. She introduced me to her friends, and then they left. I was totally surprised by her thoughtful gift. That night, I ate a little of each slice. Wow, they were all delicious, (some people might say heavenly) so I saved some for my breakfast, but I wondered if she would really be back and why.

It was another beautiful day, but not as windy. It was early afternoon and still I had no sales. Then she came back with one of her friends and one of her sons. She showed them the painting and then we talked for a little while. She believed in God, and had four young children. Two children by her first husband who then committed suicide and another two from her second husband who then left her. Wow, talk about the pain this young mother must have experienced and now raising four children alone. 

You never know what some people go through just by looking at them. I told her she still got the best of the deal and she agreed—four lovely children; a real blessing from God. I had already told her about the adventure I was going on, and if she gave me her address I would send them a post card from Mexico. She said she would like that, and then she left to show her son other displays. For some reason, I felt God wanted me to give her the painting, but I also wanted to sell it to give money to the poor. Then I remember the statement Jesus made to His disciples when the women poured costly perfume on His head. “You always have the poor with you…” But I still wonder if this was what I was really to do.

When she came back by, I stopped her and gave her one of Sheldon’s "Cloak of Zeal" business card. I told her to check it out and that he was a special friend, then she left again. I was still struggling with my emotions and when I saw that she had stopped at another booth, about a hundred feet away, to get something to eat.

I felt God was giving me my last opportunity, so I took the painting, put it in a clear plastic bag and went over to her. When she turned around, she was surprised to see me. Then I told her that God wanted me to give her something, because she was special to Him and me, and then handed her the painting. She said, “really?” I said, “yes.” She thanked me and then she crumbled against my chest. I knew then I had made the right decision. I put my arms around her as she wept. Then I prayed that God would heal and restore her broken heart, to bless her and her children and that Jesus was her Husband who would never leave her. That she would have a greater revelation of Him and His love. When I was finish praying, she thanked me again and asked if it was okay to come back with her camera and take a picture of me.

She came back about an hour later with her friend to take a photograph of us together with the painting. Then we said good-bye and hugged again and I prayed for her and for her children to know their real Father; and that He would bless her with a prosperous and happier future. Then she left with her painting, along with a special peace and joy in her heart that came from heaven and a man who demonstrated Christ’s love for her.

I still didn’t sell any paintings at the show, but I was there for that divine appointment, and that’s what really counts in the long run. No matter what the cost, it much better to give.

Love can be expressed in many different ways, but doing the Father’s will is always the best way; to touch someone who is really hurting. This shows how much they are loved, and sometimes they still need a hug too. I may never see Aireal again until we meet in heaven. But that day I made a friend I will never forget, and neither will she. Together we both shared a little slice of heaven.