September 14, 2012

Homeless Camp


Welcome to Crescent City, California

Wow, what a week! I thought I would be staying in Brookings another week before leaving. But I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at a grocery story that said a Methodist Church was offering a free Salisbury steak dinner. It turned out that the church was in California. Then I thought maybe afterwards I might find someone who would let me park at his or her home for some time and be able to bless them, but it didn’t happen that way. So I continued further south to Crescent City and watched this beautiful sunset over the Pacific.

Then it was time to find some place to spend the night since I try to avoid camp fee sights and save a little money for the Redwoods Camp fees. There was a place at the end of a street that I waited until it got later, but the area was also used for other things; as I watch three different vehicles come and go. The first was a young couple, the next car was an older man with a much younger woman doing something he probably paid for, and in the last one there were three young people. One got out and went down a stairway to the beach. When he came back a little later he had a handgun and gave it to the driver who got out. Then the young driver took it, aimed it several time at some imaginary object out to sea and he put the gun in the clove compartment of the car; right in front of the young women who was watching all of this transaction take place. Not realizing that I too was watching and praying for them from my van less than twelve feet away. When they left, so did I. (I reported this to the police, with a photo I took with the license plate.) This adventure I'm on was full of surprises and it also reminded me that this world was in desperate need of a savior and a loving Father.


I finally found a place just the other side of town that looked like it would be okay for me to spend the night. But before long, there was a tap on my window. A man and a woman asked what I was doing, so I told them and that I was alone. They said I was in front of their place. I apologized and they said it was okay. I told her my name and my mission to Mexico. She said her name was Joeline, and then extended her hand through the window to a total strange. Then she asked if I would like to go the church with them. I said, sure what time, not knowing what this would lead to. And then she left and followed the man

Wow, God led me to the right place, but not what I expected, it got even better. At 9 o’clock the next morning, I went down the road, but could not find their house. I look around some more and then I saw a red pick-up. I inquired where Joeline’s house was. They said are you Israel, I said yes. Then they called out to Joeline and she came out of a path leading in the trees.  She told me to follow them to church and she would be there later.

It was a new, fair size Cornerstone Church. I went to the Men’s group, with the man that drove the truck, before the main survive and shared a little of my mission and of heart of God. At the end of the meeting, they asked me to close in prayer. The service began with awesome worship music; people were praising God with hands raise, others were kneeling before Him and some were waving flags. During this time of worship people were even coming down and giving their hearts to God, including a young teenage girl.

After church I talked his Tara, who was a middle-age woman who came in the truck, and asked if she though if Joeline would mind if I parked at her place. She said, why. So I told her, and then said that the place was a bird sanctuary, plus a campsite for homeless people, including her. I said I don’t mind if you don’t, I’m homeless also. She told me, I should park near them, because the other side had drug user and often stoled, plus the police come often to check things out. I gave her some money, a hug and said I would love to spend time with them.

When I arrived back at the homeless camp that evening, Joeline and a man came out and invited me to follow them. There was a very large tarp structure, about 30x40 feet, where Tara and another man name Mark were sitting in front of a fire. I sat on one of the two van bench seats that were positioned in front of the fire that had a frying pan and a large pot on a grill over it. Then I watch Joelie cook which she said she love to do. We sat and talked as the food cooked. Then she brought me a bottle of water, and I thanked her. When the food was ready, she served it on a plate and handed it to me. I said, no thank you I have already eaten, she said so have we and this is for you.

Wow, I was being fed by homeless people—only God could do this. There were a couple slices of bread that had been toasted on the fire with butter and a large serving made up of onions and potatoes with a thick meaty gravy sauce over it. It was delicious. This, I believe was an appreciation gift for the money I had give to Tara. Then she sat down and we all watched the fire while they smoked marijuana and drank and talk about their lives. Tara asked if any one had a story to share, even a Bible story.

I share one of a Good Samaritan act we did for a man who need help along the road one day with a broken down truck. We picked him up and fed him and ended up giving him a van. I told this story, because I said, God can change your situation around much quicker than you think. He loves you very much and has a wonderful plan for you and dreams to fulfill, if you’ll just trust Him.

Later, I also told them that as much as I enjoyed the worship music at the church this morning, I’m enjoying being here more, because this is what Jesus did. Then Joeline, share about losing of one of her sons that was only seven and then she started to cry. We gather around her and I prayed, that God would heal her broken heart and spirit. It was after 11pm, Tara said, you could stay as long as you want here at the camp area and you are welcome anytime. I told them, tomorrow night at sunset I will bring all the fixing for Chili dogs, chips, and snores. The next evening I fed eight homeless people, yet it was still sad to see their state of bondage and addiction. I prayed for them and declared their freedom. The next day I met a woman at the beach who had a broken heart and was crying out to God, I was the answer to her prayer as we sat together and I held her hand and listen. I prayed for healing and restoration of her broken heart and peace for her soul. When the tears were over and she could laugh again, she thanked me and then we both gave each other a big hug. 

What a joy it was to be His hand and voice to a hurting world. Now it was time to spend time with my Heavenly Father in the Redwoods.
We are the Light of the world.